isight and my ibook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I want a webcam, im only on dial-up and i watch other peoples webcam's. What webcam should i get? Should i get an isight or something else, if there is even something else

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    The iSight requires a broadband connection.

I believe that you can do only audio chat on a dialup connection with iChat AV and an iSight.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    For Audio Chat, you need a microphone.

For Video Chat, you need a broadband connection and either an iSight or other webcam, or you can even use a standard DV camcorder.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    how do ppl do it on dial-up then, i dont need full streaming video, just images every few seconds would be fine. my friends on pc's dont have probs with it. are there other webcams compatible with os x out there?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I think you only need broadband if you are using iChat AV. I'm not sure what other programs the iSight will work with, but I think iCHat requires it because of the codec it uses for the audio/video...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    iChat will use ANY firewire cam (including DV camcorders) ... for example the "iBot". (search for that at MacMall or someplace.

iSight should work with other programs ... it's just a firewire cam (but more stylish than others) ... though I don't use one, so I can't confirm that.