Why is AI popping forward?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Anyone else. AI is popping forward when a page finishes loading. Very annoying for those of use that hit a link then click to another window while it's loading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Use tabs, Power Tool.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't want to.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Oh man this popping forward is driving me ****ing nuts. Such a rude web site is an affront to everything me Mac strives to be.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Oh man this popping forward is driving me ****ing nuts. Such a rude web site is an affront to everything me Mac strives to be.

Addendum..It now appears to have finally switched off..or had the plugged pulled..

Thank God for little miracles...
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Not for me. Still popping forward.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    I've never seen this behavior. What browser/OS are you using?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Use tabs, Power Tool.

I'm using tabs with Safari and it's showing this same behavior. I'll start a thread loading in a tab and go to another thread in a different tab. In the middle of reading, BAM, it switches back to the other tab, as if to say, "Hey! Look at me! I've finished loading over here!"
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Of course I'm using Safari. Now I'm at work on some shit version of Windows, sorry that's redundant, and it's still doing that with IE.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Hmm. Well, I'm going to be on the road for the next several hours, but I'll definitely look into this issue later tonight.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    yeah, camino pop forward now too. which means if you start to load a page, then put it in the dock, it comes back out. stupid.

although i must say the edited hosts files ROCK!
  • Reply 11 of 44
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Why can't AI have an optional ad-free subscription thing? I'd pay $1 or $2 per month to get it ad-free. Yeah, I have my Mac at home with ad-immune Safari + Pith Helmet, but I also have a computer at work. I'm sure AI doesn't get more than $1 per month per member.

It could be like Low End Mac. They have an ad-free subscription offer going on as well. I think it's about $20 per year. And they don't even have popups, just banners.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Well, nothing has changed in AI's code that I can see. I'm guessing this is the fault of the new ads that have been cropping up.

So, there's nothing I can do but recommend OmniWeb, PithHelmet, or the /etc/hosts block.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    happens here too with safari. REALLY annoying. i thought my safari had gone nuts, or it'd be ntl causing trouble.

i HATE when the tab comes to front when i don't want to.

also those horrible windows message alert banners seem to cause loading problems. in 10 minutes some posts dont load up, so i'm losing my patience in AI. most other sites work fine, and the generally slow ones seem very fast today. if 1 of 10 tried posts manages to come thru, it's first 1 / 10 of the post, second also 1 / 10 of the normal time here as that's annoying .. so 1 / 100 of normal time.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

happens here too with safari. REALLY annoying. i thought my safari had gone nuts, or it'd be ntl causing trouble.

i HATE when the tab comes to front when i don't want to.

also those horrible windows message alert banners seem to cause loading problems. in 10 minutes some posts dont load up, so i'm losing my patience in AI. most other sites work fine, and the generally slow ones seem very fast today. if 1 of 10 tried posts manages to come thru, it's first 1 / 10 of the post, second also 1 / 10 of the normal time here as that's annoying .. so 1 / 100 of normal time.

At least I'm on top of the problem..even if it means being a loser..for using IE with OS 9.2.....
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Seems to have stopped. Maybe it was some horrible code in a banner ad?
  • Reply 16 of 44
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    There was bad code. We've since halted our relationship with the affiliate advertising program. I'm just as angry as you guys are.

However, I still have a user complaining that this problem is still persisting as of 7:30pm EST on the 23rd of Sept.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so please list your OS/Browser version in this forum.

Obviously if you do not have cookies turned on there is no way for the pop banners to know to stop popping up.

-Kasper
  • Reply 17 of 44
    I'm running into this from work as of today. That is, if you are talking about pop-up ads. This is from work using IE / Win2K.

At home I use Safari / OS X on my 15"PB Alu which blocks pop-ups.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I'm running into this from work as of today. That is, if you are talking about pop-up ads. This is from work using IE / Win2K.

At home I use Safari / OS X on my 15"PB Alu which blocks pop-ups.

Make sure javascript is enabled and cookies are enabled. There is no way this problem should persist if those criteria are met.

Cheers,

Kasper
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Seems to be popping forward again. Anyone else?
  • Reply 20 of 44
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Seems to be popping forward again. Anyone else?

well, not for me and I was getting this problem using TABS in SAFARI