Did you order your G5 with Bluetooth?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I forgot to, is it worth a lengthy delay to include it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

I forgot to, is it worth a lengthy delay to include it?

Do you have any Bluetooth devices now or plan to get any in the near future? The longer you wait to get a Bluetooth adapter for the G5 the less it will cost you.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

Do you have any Bluetooth devices now or plan to get any in the near future? The longer you wait to get a Bluetooth adapter for the G5 the less it will cost you.

someone... somewhere posted that you can't get it added on later. If I could remember where I saw that posted I'd say so. It might be worth a call to Apple though.

What is the bluetooth option worth? Jeez, it's only $50. If you are even considering it, I'd just do it.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    There will be more and more uses for Bluetooth as time goes on ... I'd say it's worth it.

At this time, you can't get an INTERNAL BT module except at time of purchase ... you can get an EXTERNAL BT module that plugs into a USB port at any time ...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yes I did!

Thank you wireless keyboard rumors!

Now if only some of you would confirm a drop in price rumor
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

someone... somewhere posted that you can't get it added on later. If I could remember where I saw that posted I'd say so. It might be worth a call to Apple though.

You can add an external USB Bluetooth adapter at any time. In fact, even Apple's internal Bluetooth adapter is actually a USB device according to the G5 technical note I read.

Why pay $50 now if you don't need it yet when maybe you can get it for half that later when you actually need it?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Because you can't get it the way it is now. It's attached to the mother board or something. So if you don't get it built it, it will never be built in. Why waste a USB slot and buy the adapter for $50 when you can get it CTO?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'd have gladly payed the extra $50 just to have Bluetooth built-in, in case I ever needed it, but with no Bluetooth uses in my immediate future, and the option of adding an external (albeit less elegant, and using up a USB port) Bluetooth module later, I didn't think is was worth the possible BTO delay to get Bluetooth now.

I figure I'll have my new G5 on eBay within a year anyway, once the dual 3 GHz G5s are here. Maybe I'll get Bluetooth then.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Because you can't get it the way it is now. It's attached to the mother board or something. So if you don't get it built it, it will never be built in. Why waste a USB slot and buy the adapter for $50 when you can get it CTO?

The only way the USB port would be wasted is if you got the adaptor when you didn't really need it.

With the external adaptor you can choose the best location for optimal range. With the internal adaptor you have to live with the antenna on the back of the G5 unless you spend even more money for a better antenna.

An external adaptor can be used by multiple Macs. Let the G5 have the adaptor while in the office, move it to the PowerBook when traveling, for example.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    never mind, heh