NFL: Week Three

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well, time to start planting the seeds of this week's matchups. they are the following (my picks in bold; i will italicize any picks that i get right after the results):

NY Jets (0-2) at New England (1-1)

all depends on which patriots team shows up.

Kansas City (2-0) at Houston (1-1)

i'd be nuts not to pick the chiefs. they on fire!

Tampa Bay (1-1) at Atlanta (1-1)

atlanta is 1-1 against mediocre nfc east teams. gruden laid into the bucs this week... believe it.

Pittsburgh (1-1) at Cincinnati (0-2)

unfortunately, i know nothing about cincy this year, so this is best guess.

Minnesota (2-0) at Detroit (1-1)

well, i had to pick another home team sooner or later. mooch at least has joey playing well.

New Orleans (1-1) at Tennessee (1-1)

i forget, is mcnair out for this game? new orleans almost forgot they were playing a regular season game until the second half vs. the texans last week, and got banged up even worse. go with tennessee due to home field.

Jacksonville (0-2) at Indianapolis (2-0)

indy, just cause it's home, and it's quiet enough for peyton to make his audibles without yelling.

St. Louis (1-1) at Seattle (2-0)

tough game to pick. bulger seems like a winner, and seattle still has to prove it to me. if they can outscore mike martz, they might just do that.

NY Giants (1-1) at Washington (2-0)

these records should be flipped. again, i'll go with home team, though if field is still soggy from isabel, it lands that spurrier air offensive.

Green Bay (1-1) at Arizona (0-2)

my super upset. c'mon, no one goes 0-16 anymore, so the cards have to beat someone, and it'll be when you least expect it. like now?

Baltimore (1-1) at San Diego (0-2)

san diego was one of my favorites this year, but they are stuck in neutral. this could be a 9-6 game if boller can't throw and the raven's d is on. gimme san diego with a last second field goal.

Cleveland (0-2) at San Francisco (1-1)

oh man, this could get ugly. all baltimore did was run. now all san fran will do is pass. did garcia or owens talk to any of the browns this week?

Buffalo (2-0) at Miami (1-1)

another tough one. buffalo looks strong... real strong. a win puts them ahead quick in the afc east. miami doesn't want to say it, but this is a must-win in week three.

Mon, Sep 22

Oakland (1-1) at Denver (2-0)

time for that super bowl squad to start acting like it. shanahan's smoke-and-mirrors routine is about to close.

Bye Week: Chicago (0-2), Dallas (1-1), Philadelphia (0-2), Carolina (2-0)

anyone want to chime in? i am about the worst football picker i know, so i am sure someone can do better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    The Bears still suck.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    Go to this Jack Daniels website to pick your teams...

http://jackdaniels.iwon.com/overview.jsp

It's fun!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    The ones I picked differently from you were...

Minnesota, Seattle, NY Giants, Green Bay, and Denver.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Patriots, Chiefs, Buccaneers, Steelers, Vikings, Titans, Colts, Seattle, Giants, Packers, Chargers, 49ers, Bills, Broncos.

I can't believe you've picked the Lions over the Vikings. The Lions were exposed as pretenders last week. And the Cardinals upsetting the Packers? Hah. I'd go Seahawks...impressive wins so far and Bulger really hasn't proven he's better Warner. Last week'swin against the Niner was pure luck. The Raiders really miss Porter at WR. I don't see them pulling a win out of Denver especially when they almost lost to the Bengals. Speaking of the Bengals, they're better than last year, but still horrible. The Cardinals are worse.

EDIT: Looks like X_X has rthe exact same picks as I do. Heh.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

The Bears still suck.

This is exactly what I was going to post. I guess that makes it official then...
  • Reply 6 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

This is exactly what I was going to post. I guess that makes it official then...

Please do. It should be said more than once...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I can't believe you've picked the Lions over the Vikings. The Lions were exposed as pretenders last week. And the Cardinals upsetting the Packers? Hah.

well, it seems there's always one head-scratching upset per week in the early weeks of the nfl, so i think at least one of these will come true this week. hell, i may pick the cards all season, just so i can say i was right when they finally DO win.

• Reply 8 of 21
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Where I now live I have to watch the Packer's games . . . . and I really always just want them to lose

But last week against the Lions they played hard . . . and the Lions' players seemed like they were afraid to hit, afraid to be hit, and seemed, generally, to be acting like they knew they were phonies and the gig was up . . . it was strange, I have never seen a team play such that you could see that they were going to lose resoundingly simply by the way the Defensive players would seem to FLINCH before they lacadaisically hit thier oponent . . . it was sad.

Hopefully Mariuchi will pep talk this lack of confidence out of them and they can get back in . . . the Vikings are hot this year and if the Lions could pull this upset they might gain some self respect.

Seahawks > Im all for that one but it's going to be a good game . . . . I hate the thought of the Rams being from St Loise . . . call me 'old' but there you have it.

Steelers . . . that would be an upset if Cincinatti won but I just don't think that is where the upset is going to happen this week.

I say its with Houston . . . they have an uncanny ability to punch the unsuspecting team hard, and the Chief's are all that this week . . high on their horse (holmes) and ready to get blindsided . . .

I lived almost half my life in or around San Francisco and from that I grew to detest the 49ers . . . don't know why really . . . just hate the team and the colors and the legacy . . . . so I hope CLeveland wins . . besides I think its about time that the Browns pull together what they have with their QB and surprise the Golden-boys . . but they'll probably lose .. . hohum . . .

Definitely the game to watch is the Bills and Miami . . . wish I could afford Direct TV . . . I wonder if it would be aired. I'm pulling for the Bills because I taught for a while in Rochester NY (near Buffallo) and lived in Syracuse and I have pitty on those poor fans . . . they need some sunshine in thier lives!!!

While miami has so much sun the people are decadent and their team color is torquise and coral!!!! . . . .heehee
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Where I now live I have to watch the Packer's games . . . . and I really always just want them to lose

i used to live in columbus, ohio, and i know how you feel. not only did we get every buckeye game (no matter how trivial), we got ALL the old nfc central games (bears five times a year?!? gah!), and the only ones i ever wanted to see were the bucs. but that rarely happened. now that i am back in new orleans, and the nfc south, i get to see them a lot more, especially now that they don't suck.

i would have picked the texans over the chiefs, but as i said in another post, vermeil gets the team straightened out after three years. if this were last year, i could see them falling for houston, but not this year.

p.s. anyone want to explain to me how miami did NOT go to the afc south, yet indianapolis is? and baltimore is in the afc north? i know they wanted to retain traditional rivalries, but regional ones will always outlive ones based on talent levels. just ask your local high schools and colleges.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I'd differ from the original post on Minnesota, Seattle, Green Bay, Denver and Miami. Taking Washington and Miami rather than the Giants and Bills as the other posters did. Miami Buffalo is the toughest pick of the week IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    remember, check back here for week three posting. i hope to continue this tradiontion throughout the season.

p.s. anyone getting especially bad caching problems lately in safari? driving me NUTS).
  • Reply 12 of 21
    well, so far i am 6-1, but the early games weren't very difficult to pick (and of course i got burned on my one big upset pick... detroit at least played the entire first half, but never came back out of the locker room at halftime).

the late games will be much more interesting (and tougher to pick), i think.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

hell, i may pick the cards all season, just so i can say i was right when they finally DO win.

haHA!!! i may have sucked on the afternoon games, BUT i got that super-upset!

w00t!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

well, so far i am 6-1, but the early games weren't very difficult to pick (and of course i got burned on my one big upset pick... detroit at least played the entire first half, but never came back out of the locker room at halftime).

the late games will be much more interesting (and tougher to pick), i think.

So I'm currently 9-3 and you're 7-5. And no thanks to the freakin' Niners who played terrible. Their offensive inefficiency was laughable. Seahawks are going to run away with the NFC West.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Patriots, Chiefs, Buccaneers, Steelers, Vikings, Titans, Colts, Seattle, Giants, Packers, Chargers, 49ers, Bills, Broncos.

EDIT: Looks like X_X has rthe exact same picks as I do. Heh.

You and I have done pretty well, so far. Only missed two.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    well, next week looks like it will be very difficult to pick. almost every game is a matchup of even teams (or uneven matchups, but in strong emotional rivalries where records mean less).
  • Reply 17 of 21
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I just noticed that the Browns beat the Niners!!

hahaha

I stopped watching it early because i was so certain that they would lose . . . I guess I missed an exciting come back!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Woooooooo go Browns!! Nice win....Holcomb is the man!!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    So I'm gunna be 10-4 with straight picks...but really, not my fault! Packers and Niners cost me a decent 12-2 weekend! We pick against the spread to make it more of a challenge.

And jeez, it'll be a miracle if the Niners and Raiders COMBINE for 10 wins this season.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    wow, i sucked bad this week. i just didn't think the raiders would get destroyed that bad. next week, i won't pick as many upsets as i did this week.

thing is, you really don't start getting a sense of playoff caliber teams until week 5. remember a few years ago when both the bengals and chargers were 3-1 and 4-0 respectively, and they both tanked after they faced off against each other. the bucs lost their first game last year against the saints, but then by week 5 were catching their stride. the raiders sucked through four games last year and then came storming back.

in a few weeks, some good teams will start sliding, and others will figure themselves out. i mean, does anyone see indy really holding onto this strong start? a 9-6 win over the browns, and a win over a jag team that everyone thought would suck before the season even began. at least their win over tennessee was impressive, or an aberration.

anyway, i'll put up a week four thread around wednesday or thursday. tough week coming up.