802.11g & pismo help, please

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, i just bought the linksys wireless g 4-port router, as well as a linksys wireless g cardbus adapter for my pismo powerbook. but for some reason, i am not getting any port other than the default modem, ethernet and irda ports in the network system preference.

any ideas?

p.s. the router is set up and working, as i have my tower hooked up to it and am receiving data nicely. also, this card is based on the broadcom chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

okay, i just bought the linksys wireless g 4-port router, as well as a linksys wireless g cardbus adapter for my pismo powerbook. but for some reason, i am not getting any port other than the default modem, ethernet and irda ports in the network system preference.

any ideas?

p.s. the router is set up and working, as i have my tower hooked up to it and am receiving data nicely. also, this card is based on the broadcom chip.

Do you have the latest AirPort software?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, i made a bit of a boo-boo. i had airport software updates inactive, and had forgotten to reactivate and update. now the pismo at least sees the card, and is connecting me, but...

weird thing is, it says in the menu bar that it is an 802.11b card. huh?

i know the pismo wasn't around when airport extreme was making the rounds, but the card should support the speeds, so where is the bottleneck?

hmmm...

otherwise, HOLY CRAP! i am posting to the internet from the couch in my living room!

happy! no wonder everyone says this is so friggin' cool.

• Reply 3 of 7
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

weird thing is, it says in the menu bar that it is an 802.11b card. huh?

This happened with me as well with a Linksys 802.11g card in a TiBook. I think you're still getting "g" speeds though; when I was looking around for info about whether or not I could use a 802.11g card in my TiBook I found reports from others all seeing this same behaviour but still getting the faster speeds.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

This happened with me as well with a Linksys 802.11g card in a TiBook. I think you're still getting "g" speeds though; when I was looking around for info about whether or not I could use a 802.11g card in my TiBook I found reports from others all seeing this same behaviour but still getting the faster speeds.

hmmm... i'll try a big download and check. i'll let you know.

did i mention how COOL this is??? it makes this going-on-four-years laptop feel brand new again! all it needs is a little more ram and maybe a hard drive upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Greetings from a couch somewhere in California.

Nap time. ZZZzzzzz...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Try d/ling a big file from your other mac, not the internet. If you get more than 450kB/sec, you are getting 'g' speeds.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Try d/ling a big file from your other mac, not the internet. If you get more than 450kB/sec, you are getting 'g' speeds.

yep, i am getting somewhere close to a meg a second sustained, though that menu still says 802.11b... but what's in a name???