VT G5 Cluster Photos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
MacRumors has an article with a link to photos including the assembly.

I smell a caption contest...

Screed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    AssemblyAssembly Row 1, Column 1: "The IT staff, bored from waiting for their delivery, build cardboard models and pretend to run pointless benchmarks."
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmm...I'm getting "page forbidden" not too mention all those links are slow as molasses, you'd think a university with a 1000 computer g5 cluster would have a better network/server ....must be all those punks and their file sharing. sheesh.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Forbidden...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    "Why I don't have my dual 2 GHz G5."
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

Forbidden...

Here's a partial mirror
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Check out slide number 16 of this slide show where it states "The current facility will be followed by a second system housed in the new ICTAS building in 2006". Does this imply that they are planning a second cluster based on Apple hardware?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Is that enough G5 for ya? Man, that photo of all the fronts of the G5...that's going to be my desktop.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...would love to get in there wit renderman and see how she runs
  • Reply 9 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What waste. Where's the Xserve G5?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    It's good to know that 3 G5s fit nicely side-by-side in a rack. That should quell some of the bitching about the G5 being too tall to rack-mount.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    no one can be told what the matrix is...

• Reply 12 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

It's good to know that 3 G5s fit nicely side-by-side in a rack. That should quell some of the bitching about the G5 being too tall to rack-mount.

Those are custom racks. The G5 is 8" wide, so you definitely cannot fit 3 in a regular rack.