iMac CRT help...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok... I installed OpenDarwin on my iMac to try a BSD out... XF86 had some trouble and crl+alt+backspace did not shut it down... so I turned it off and the next morning when I beeted it up the CRT was warped. The picture is curved on the right side and the left side falls of the end of the screen. Looks like this...

._ <=disreguard the dot...

|_)

Well you get the idea...

At first I thought it was just Darwin/XF86 but when I enter open firmware it still looks warped.. even when I boot a Linux live CD...

What I need to know is if there is a screen adjustment how to for iMac CRTs?

Damn I knew I should have stuck with my beloved Linux...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Not with any *nix, but when my iMac warped, option-apple-P-R to reset the PRAM did the trick.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yeah, you should zap the PRAM, and if that doesn't work, there are some Open Firmware commands you can execute to reset the machine to factory defaults. Furthermore, you could try booting into OS 9 or X, as I know in 9 there are screen adjustment options in the Monitors control panel.

You *can* do live CRT adjustments, but you'd want a professional to do it. CRTs are really dangerous, and the tech shops I worked at, even though I was trained to do it, would not let me work on CRTs.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Which generation CRT? (aka, tell me the color of the sucker, there are some 'at your own risk' directions online for some models)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks for the help...

but I think I killed my iMac...

I was looking for adjustment knobs inside the case... the two I found were for focus and contrast... but when I turned the iMac back on the screen stays black and the HDD spins down a few secconds after the chime...

option command p r did nothing ... I think I servered the connection between the monitor and the logic bord... but I can not tell.

I hope it is not dead... I will try reseating everything inside the case.

Sigh
  • Reply 5 of 6
    If you end up selling it for parts drop me a PM.... I have adopted quite a few broken suckers...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Performing a live adjustment on a CRT is very dangerous. There are safety precautions you need to be careful to follow before trying that. Your decision to do that was probably a very, very, very poor one. Unless you're a certified tech, you shouldn't be going that deep into the chassis. Food for future thought.

If it is dead, I'll buy the motherboard off of you