G5 Xserve?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What is this picture? It is on Apple's Australian Education store site (http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebOb...tion?qprm=2854). I haven't seen one of these before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    That's the Xserve for clusters.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think that weird looking one is an XServe Cluster Node. It just has one hard drive and no optical drive to cut the cost in case the place that is ordering just wants multiple computers for added power.

EDIT: Whoops, quite late on that one.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    i'm ready to jump out of my skin.

i wanted a G5 Xserve to be announced in Paris.

now when the he11 is it going to be here?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by bluesigns

now when the he11 is it going to be here?

Spring.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Of note:

digitmag.co.uk

A story of cpus. 0.09. IBM? Apparently 'sampling' said chips right now.

So. What sort of time frame does this mean for Powerbooks? PowerMac G5 bumps? X-Serve G5s?

Half a year?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 6 of 18
    if it's going to be "Spring" - it's going to bea slow winter for Xserve sales unless they come up with some tremendously compelling sales promotion.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Who knows if the G5 XServe even requires the 90nm PPC970? So far it's just been assumed because people think the 970 is too hot for a 1U server based on the PowerMac's cooling system.

I'm not going to guess whether the 970 is or isn't too hot, but I think it's too early to make that assumption. The PowerMac was designed to be very quite, I don't think the XServe needs to be so quiet. I feel like we could see a new XServe at any time really.

If it does require the 90nm chip, then the XServe will probably be announced in November or December after the new 970 starts quantity production.

Or not.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spankalee

Who knows if the G5 XServe even requires the 90nm PPC970? So far it's just been assumed because people think the 970 is too hot for a 1U server based on the PowerMac's cooling system.

[...]

If it does require the 90nm chip, then the XServe will probably be announced in November or December after the new 970 starts quantity production.

There's no evidence that a 90nm 970 will go into production at the end of this year. The 90nm production line will come on line, but you always start a new process with simple products like flash memory and FPGAs, not monsters like the 970. It's easier to troubleshoot and refine the process that way.

If the Xserve requires a 90nm 970 (and I'd say yes, judging by the fact that the 970 devours about twice the current of the G4 at top speed), it won't be until some time next year - unless the Fishkill gnomes pull a rabbit out of their hats.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    If the G5 offers a lot of performance difference in the blade server, Apple will have it out soon. There really is no more heat issues in the blade server than in the tower. The Tower may be roomier and only house two hard disks but the blade has no constraints on fan sound does it? Now one will care if it sound like a hairdryer, if it is fast it is good.

With IBM designing the G5 AKA 970 for blade servers they might want to get the first blade server out first. 7-8 months ago there was a lot of talk about those IBM blade servers but then nothing
  • Reply 10 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think if their going to put a G5 in an XServe there will be a major redesign. Maybe they'll do a 2U XServe?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Apple can really take off with servers... A 1U, 2U, 4U, 8U lineup would be nice!

1U dual G4 or single G5

2U dual G4, single G5, or dual G5

4U dual G5 only.

8U dual G5 to quad G5. RAID standard, multi-tarabyte capable, 16-32 gigs of memory and a shit load of fans.

But then again, this may be overkill.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Of note:

digitmag.co.uk

A story of cpus. 0.09. IBM? Apparently 'sampling' said chips right now.

So. What sort of time frame does this mean for Powerbooks? PowerMac G5 bumps? X-Serve G5s?

Half a year?

Lemon Bon Bon

There are more engineering issues than just the CPU for the PB. I think that the CPU probably is not the bottleneck for PBs. However for the XServe, the only question is if Apple wants to use the hotter or cooler CPUs. Given that it is in a server room, Apple can use the hotter chips and just crank up the speed on the fans.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    How about a 16U? That would basically be 16 1U Xserves, but more expensive because we made Apple make it. 32 processors and too much hard drive space for a small office or even a big office.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

There really is no more heat issues in the blade server than in the tower. The Tower may be roomier and only house two hard disks but the blade has no constraints on fan sound does it? Now one will care if it sound like a hairdryer, if it is fast it is good.

No kidding. BladeCenter is LOUD.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Now one will care if it sound like a hairdryer, if it is fast it is good.

i don't care if it sounds like a hairdryer - as long as it gets my hair dry before christmas.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    It has to come some time soon.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

If the G5 offers a lot of performance difference in the blade server, Apple will have it out soon.

I hope so. Heat shouldn't be a problem; Xeons take a lot more power and you can get duals in 1U.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Apple can really take off with servers... A 1U, 2U, 4U, 8U lineup would be nice!

1U dual G4 or single G5

2U dual G4, single G5, or dual G5

4U dual G5 only.

8U dual G5 to quad G5. RAID standard, multi-tarabyte capable, 16-32 gigs of memory and a shit load of fans.

But then again, this may be overkill.

There isn't really such a thing as "overkill" in the server market.

If they can shove an Opteron or P4 into a 1U case on the PC side of things, I see no reason why we won't see the same for an Xserve G5 (probably even dual processors).

If Apple really wants to make a splash in the Enterprise market, it has to make the sysadmins drool.

http://www.opteronics.com/102.htm#