It's and age old question....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's been asked time and time again.... but i could really use some imput....I would love to hear from both professionals and nonprofessionals...any opinions and documented write-ups are welcome!

I'm stuck.... i am both a pc and a mac user.... im in school and about to graduate this comming spring <college> in a couple of years i hope to move on to grad school in some type of design....

but my issue is.... im tight on money and stuck between getting a new powerbook and a pc laptop <probably a Dell>

i have a g4 450 tower now... she has been great but i would like to upgrade, and also go with the portability factor....

I built my pc about 2 years ago...p3 800.... for what i use it for its been good <both design and typical use.... im not a huge gamer>

Essentially i would like to focus 99 percent of my design use on the Mac.....

As i said the issue is money....hehe im in school... you know.... poor! ;-) I can get a pretty kick butt Dell laptop for about 800 bucks, and the PB im looking at might be 1500- 3000. I was looking at the 15in PB but after seeing pscates's post.... i might be concidering the 12"

Soooo as u can see it's pretty drastic in cost. I love the usability of my mac....and in all honesty i prefer the idea of going with the mac.....

what i guess im stuck with is logicly im paying a LOT more for seemingly a lesser machine. the dell is quite a bit faster (please confirm... i thought the g4 1ghz was about 25-50 slower than a 2ghz celeron, or whatever... if you have any info on the conversion rates that would be awsome too) and various options.... for MUCH less. What do you think?

What do i do?

Thanks!!! ;-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, speed is everything. I'd go with the Dell, hands down.

Macs aren't used much in the design/creative arts field anyway, so I'd go for for the $800 rocket.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    hehehe I get looked at funny when i talk to designers about using a pc instead....most i know rave on mac heheh but you might be right its getting pretty spread across the board between mac and pc in the design world these days.....

hmmmmmmm
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by CiNoRi

hehehe I get looked at funny when i talk to designers about using a pc instead....most i know rave on mac heheh but you might be right its getting pretty spread across the board between mac and pc in the design world these days.....

hmmmmmmm

Doesn't matter really. Design is a slow growth area. There's not much profit to be made in standard 2D. What's becoming big is 3D, Animation and Digital Video. Hence Apples attempts to corner this market.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    A kick butt Dell laptop for $800? Do you mean [you'll] kick [your own] butt [for buying such a POS] Dell laptop? I see.

If you want to keep your computer for some time, get a Mac. They last longer on average. Just look at our OS upgrades: from Jag to Panther, you're getting a faster computer, just by upgrading the OS. Look at Windows: from W2kSP1 to W2kSP3 you lose a lot of speed. Not to mention what happens with w2k to xp. And that doesn't even touch the issue of security and ease of use.

Besides, you can get a 1ghz G4 12" with combo drive for $1399 through the Apple Ed store. You may be able to find the 867mhz g4 for less than that. The price difference between PC and Mac laptops is less than one would think.

edit: a quick look at smalldog.com reveals a superdrive 867 12" powerbook for $1399 and a combo drive 12" for $1349. Shop around.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

A kick butt Dell laptop for $800? Do you mean [you'll] kick [your own] butt [for buying such a POS] Dell laptop? I see.

If you want to keep your computer for some time, get a Mac. They last longer on average. Just look at our OS upgrades: from Jag to Panther, you're getting a faster computer, just by upgrading the OS. Look at Windows: from W2kSP1 to W2kSP3 you lose a lot of speed. Not to mention what happens with w2k to xp. And that doesn't even touch the issue of security and ease of use.

Besides, you can get a 1ghz G4 12" with combo drive for $1399 through the Apple Ed store. You may be able to find the 867mhz g4 for less than that. The price difference between PC and Mac laptops is less than one would think.

edit: a quick look at smalldog.com reveals a superdrive 867 12" powerbook for $1399 and a combo drive 12" for $1349. Shop around.

I have thought about the "longer lasting mac" i mean my g4 tower is only a 450 or so... yet she still handles some of the largest file whatnot i can strain on her... and there is rarely any hiccups....

what do u mean price differences arent that bad? any pc laptop if have looked at <2ghz range> is 7-800 ish.... and then any new pb im looking to get even with the eduaction pricing is like double the pc cost.....

:-)
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

what do u mean price differences arent that bad? any pc laptop if have looked at <2ghz range> is 7-800 ish.... and then any new pb im looking to get even with the eduaction pricing is like double the pc cost.....

:-)

I'm not going to get too far into this discussion because it's been rehashed over and over, but.... Find me a comparable PC laptop to my 867mhz G4 for $800 and I'll GIVE YOU my powerbook. Spec it out and you'll see that it's impossible.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Code:

Inspiron 1100:

_

Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.2GHz,14.1 XGA

_

AC22GHN

_

[221-2897]

_

_

Operating System:

_

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional

_

WPXP

_

[313-1714][420-2195][412-0408]

_

_

Mail-In Rebate Offer:

_

SAVE $100 with mail-in rebate! System price shown before rebate

_

DHS100

_

[462-3762]

_

_

Memory:

_

512MB Shared DDR,266Mhz,2 Dimms,PC2100 SDRAM

_

512MB2D

_

[311-2120]

_

_

Hard Drives:

_

40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

_

40GB

_

[340-7267]

_

_

Fixed CD/DVD Drives:

_

FREE 24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive Upgrade! (from CD-ROM)

_

24CDVDF

_

[462-2601][313-1370]

_

_

Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices:

_

No Floppy Drive

_

NOFD

_

[340-8972]

_

_

Primary Battery:

_

94Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

_

LIION

_

[312-0153]

_

_

Productivity Software:

_

WordPerfect® Productivity Pack with Quicken New User Edition

_

ICOREL

_

[412-0398][412-0401][412-0399]

_

_

Security Software:

_

Dell SecurityCenter by McAfee, 90-day introductory offer

_

MCAFE90

_

[412-0328]

_

_

Multi-Media Players:

_

RealOne? Player, with 14 day SuperPass trial

_

REALBAS

_

[412-0380]

_

_

Digital Music:

_

Dell Jukebox Premium powered by MUSICMATCH

_

MMPLAT

_

[412-0300]

_

_

Digital Photography:

_

Dell Picture Studio, Image Expert® Standard

_

DPS

_

[412-0275][412-0277]

_

_

High Speed Internet Access:

_

Find a high speed Internet service provider in your area

_

HISPEED

_

[462-0984]

_

_

Dial-Up Internet Access:

_

6 Months America Online Internet Access Included

_

AOLDHS

_

[420-3224][412-0439]

_

_

Modem:

_

Internal 56K Modem

_

56MPC

_

[313-1399]

_

_

Network Adapters:

_

Integrated Network Card

_

INTNIC

_

[430-0399]

_

_

Video Editing:

_

Dell Movie Studio Essentials (w/ 1394)

_

DMSE

_

[A0076772][420-2227]

_

_

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options:

_

1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-In Service

_

ST111RR

_

[950-3337][950-3550][412-0361][950-9057]

_

Total price? $1321. This doesn't include anything comparable to iCal, iSync or iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    A few things:

First, my initial response in this thread above was MASSIVELY done with my tongue lodged firmly into my cheek and with a heaping helping of sarcasm ladled over it. I'm SHOCKED that no one called me on this!

I mean, I'm the one guy here constantly dinging the resident propeller heads and spec whores for always only looking at the numbers and "speed" alone in a "PC vs. Mac" decision-making process.

I'm disappointed...

Secondly, like torifile I too am reluctant to wade too deep into what could turn into a 22-page back-and-forth pissing contest about specs, numbers, GHz, etc.

All I have to say is this: you get what you pay for. I'd be much more inclined to buy a quality, well-made machine (even on a poor, "starving student" budget...I'd mow some yards or tend bar to make it happen) than to chintz out and "go cheap" with an $800 laptop that, while on the surface, might seem groovy and bitchin' and so forth.

But I'd bet my left eye it won't come with all the stuff on it that a Mac - even at twice the price, alas - does.

Does this $800 Dell come with Ethernet, FireWire, a CD-R or Combo Drive? DVI? Good battery life? Wireless capability (probably...in the form of a stupid card pooching out of the side). That's just hardware, folks. Let's get to the nitty gritty: does it have a Mac OS on it?

No. That clinches it right there for many, including myself.

You seem a bit overly concerned (and enamored of) the GHz there, CiNoRi. It isn't everything. Hell, it's not even the biggest thing I'd worry about, at this point in my Mac-using career (it's about 6th or 7th on my list of things I consider important).

It's your decision, make it wisely and give it thought.

But I'll say again, you get what you pay for.

And torifile is right: spec out a machine to see if it matches accurately. There's probably some good reasons why that Dell is only $800. And if none of those reasons are critical or affect your work, then I say in all sincerity "get the Dell because it is cheaper...".

As long as you know that, going in, then that's cool.

But DON'T look at "price/GHz" alone...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

A few things:

First, my initial response in this thread above was MASSIVELY done with my tongue lodged firmly into my cheek and with a heaping helping of sarcasm ladled over it. I'm SHOCKED that no one called me on this!

I mean, I'm the one guy here constantly dinging the resident propeller heads and spec whores for always only looking at the numbers and "speed" alone in a "PC vs. Mac" decision-making process.

I'm disappointed...

I couldn't call you out on that because I thought it was TOO obvious to say anything. If I want a good laugh, I'll try to picture you with a Dell laptop, whipping it out and trying to pick up Alyson Hannigan or something... Too funny.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Damn. I was just about to call you out on your first post, pscates, and then you go and ruin it.

Serves me right for not checking AI every hour of the day.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey, I thought I was the sarcastic one around here.

Actually, I was wondering if this new line of thinking of yours had something to do with you not heading down to check out that 15" PowerBook...deciding to grab a Gateway laptop and spend the difference on Dr. Pepper and NASCAR gear.

• Reply 12 of 17
    I know I really didn't mean to start the pc vr mac threads.... plenty can be said for both.

okie... Yeah I can definately agree that mghz isn't everything... like i said my G4 450 has held its own in photoshop time after time that my p3 800 would hiccup ;-) ... But i am curious... How does the mhz compare? I have looked online trying to find some way to compair or expalain what a g4 or G5 such and such.... is the same thing as a Pentium ___. All the little reviews and such i ahve seen all talk about either REALLY old chips or using a dual G5....I just would like to know a basic line up of a g4.

PScates: I can definately see your points... hehe the mac os....a BEAUTIFUL thing! ;-) ...beleive me it's a HUGE selling point for me.

I'm just REALLY picky on getting this machine... definately want a top machine for the money i spend, beleive me it's tight... the idea of a laptop has always been tough for me <even tho i want one ;-) > unlike a tower their really isn't much in the way of being able to upgrade. (and i'll ahve this one for long while) Say, New wireless stuff comes out....<on a mac there is no pcmcia slots>... just hardware can't be swapped on a mac as easy if any?.... Please don't think i have made my mind up already ;-) pc's are a pain too!

I'm jsut being very skeptical I guess... just want to make a good choice! ;-)

Thanks guys!

-Erica
  • Reply 13 of 17
    There are PCMCIA slots on both the 15" and 17" powerbooks. You'll find that they are as easily upgradeable - or moreso - than their PC counterparts. The HD and RAM are both user accessible on those 2 models. The RAM is also easily upgraded on the 12" powerbook. There's not much in the way of processor upgrades for these machines right now because they're still brand new, but there have been processor upgrades available for the previous generation of powerbooks, so it's not out of the question.

And if you're really picky about what you get, you HAVE to get a mac laptop. They're best in class and they're an extremely good value right now (plus, you can get an iPod for CHEAP when you buy a laptop - look here. If money is tight, get the 10gb one for $69 out of your pocket and resell it on eBay for $200).
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Woah really? I went to the apple store this weekend....and didn't see em on there <pcmcia> ...maybe im nuts... or blind! lol thanks! Something as small as that helps.

You say ram isn't a big deal on the 12"s ...I asume same can be said for the 15 and 17"s?

Huh, i didn't realize they have been able to up processors in the past either...nice! ...yeah thats definately not normal on the pc side. Have processor upgrades been something that anyone could do or it one of those things id have to mail off and pay apple to do it? (I have built my own machines in the past)

Thanks so much torifile, for the correction!

Me Very Happy!

-Can we say....REALLY leaning!

hehehe

-Erica
  • Reply 15 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    torifile, the last PowerBook with processor upgrades available was the Pismo, which came out almost four years ago. From then on, they've all had their processors soldered to the motherboard rather than on a daughtercard. So there won't be any processor upgrades for any PowerBook G4s.

Still, I'd say look for a 12" or used 15" PowerBook G4. If you need all-out performance, get a desktop, but if you're willing to sacrifice a bit, laptops are nice. A 2 GHz Celeron laptop will be pretty cruddy - it might have the raw speed, but it will probably be shoddily made, large and heavy, with bad battery life, not to mention the lack of the amazing Mac OS! Definitely look into an Apple laptop, just make sure you get a G4 and not a G3. It's only $1200 for a refurbished 867 MHz 12" PowerBook from Apple's refurb section, which will be much faster than the 900 MHz iBook and it also costs less than a new iBook.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

You say ram isn't a big deal on the 12"s ...I asume same can be said for the 15 and 17"s?

I believe Torifile's post implied that the 15"/17" are easy to upgrade with respect to memory (and both RAM slots are accessible as opposed to the 12", which has one slot accessible).
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

torifile, the last PowerBook with processor upgrades available was the Pismo, which came out almost four years ago. From then on, they've all had their processors soldered to the motherboard rather than on a daughtercard. So there won't be any processor upgrades for any PowerBook G4s.

I didn't know that the processors were soldered to the motherboard on the (metal) powerbooks. I knew that the last upgrade available was for the Pismo (that was just 3 years ago and what I consider the "last generation" of powerbooks). But I stand corrected on the rest. Thanks.