This from today's Globe &Mail web site

In reference to the photo-journalist killed in Iran, this sub-head:

Quote:

Intelligence Ministry officer faces count of ?semi-premedicated murder'

Nice proof-reading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Oops!

I always get annoyed with people who write things like 'Nasa' and 'Nato', that kind of thing .

Dave.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    insure when it should be ensure

Babe Ruth's home run insured the Yankees a victory today.

unless the bambino is selling policies........
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I have never had much respect for the media.. but last week even they hit an all time low with the following sub-heading with regards the finding of a murder victim...

It read...

" LOWER HALF OF MAN'S TORSO WITH GENITALS FOUND "

Where were they expecting to find the genitals?

& what would be the point of mentioning genitals in the first place ? if only to beat it into some sort of lurid sex fiend murder....

Really Sicko if you ask me....
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

insure when it should be ensure

Though I see a much stronger link between insure and insurance in British English, according to the OED they are interchangeable synonyms in most uses. And I've often seen insure used where I would use ensure by Americans.

dictionary.com:

Usage Note: Assure, ensure, and insure all mean ?to make secure or certain.? Only assure is used with reference to a person in the sense of ?to set the mind at rest?: assured the leader of his loyalty. Although ensure and insure are generally interchangeable, only insure is now widely used in American English in the commercial sense of ?to guarantee persons or property against risk.?

also:

http://www.bartleby.com/68/42/3342.html

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/assure.html
  • Reply 5 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    That is pretty bad Aquafire. Which paper / site ran that??
  • Reply 6 of 17
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

" LOWER HALF OF MAN'S TORSO WITH GENITALS FOUND "

JESUS CHRIST, I just laughed out loud at that one. Not one of these token "lol" jobs either, we're talking actually laughing out loud.

I keep imagining the paper, and I laugh all over again.

• Reply 7 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Not exactly a grammar gaffe, and it happened a while ago, but clearly a modern classic.

Quote:

J.Lo's new song 'Jenny From the Block' is all about Lopez's roots, about how she's still a neighborhood gal at heart. But folks from that street in New York, the Bronx section, sound more likely to give her a curb job than a blow job.

I've seen a video of it, but couldn't find it with a quick look.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Headlines are always a good source. Here one from Reuters "news"

Israel Troops Kill Gaza Youth After Bush UN Speech

bad journalism.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

That is pretty bad Aquafire. Which paper / site ran that??

The Advertiser..Adelaide...Part of that wonderful Rupert Murdoch conglomerate.. News corp.

That headline was in relation to a missing UK tourist who was slain while travelling through the desert...

Peter Falconio..RIP..poor soul..I couldn't imagine the anguish and humiliation the family of peter would have been going thru after they saw that headline...

Thoughless bastards
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    the use of "Semi-transparent"...

it's called TRANSLUCENT!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

the use of "Semi-transparent"...

it's called TRANSLUCENT!

quid pro...

"Semi translucent"

There...as Sedge would say...I think you've squared the circle.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    anxious and excited.

anxious means you're nervous or worried about something.

but how many times do you hear someone (usually an athlete) use it in place of excited.

"im really anxious for my birthday to get here!"

why are you afraid of getting older?

also getting back to the ensure/insure thing, if i bought a policy from state farm i want to be insured, not ensured so i'm not sure it's synonymous. i like words to have specific meaning i guess....but i guess i'm not the oxford type.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    One thing that always annoys me in the media is the use of phrases like "automatic handgun". There is no such thing. Handguns are double action or semiautomatic.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Tuna fish.

are there any other taxonomic classifications for Tuna?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

are there any other taxonomic classifications for Tuna?

I was watching that Newlyweds reality tv program with Jessica Simpson and her boy-band husband and at one point she turns and asks him: "Is Tuna a chicken or a fish?". Classic.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

One thing that always annoys me in the media is the use of phrases like "automatic handgun". There is no such thing. Handguns are double action or semiautomatic.

factory, sure. but there are gangland modifications that will convert a semi into a full auto.

a little metal filing and you've got yourself a nasty piece of clip-emptying single squeeze
  • Reply 17 of 17
    how about when a notorious figure gets tagged with a nickname, like did you ever hear manuel noriega referred to as anything but "panamanian strongman manuel noriega"

there are others but i can't think of them at the moment.