pinging mac os x server

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to use timbuktu software to do remote work on one of my macs back home. THe mac is running mac os x server. Im at theother end with a windows xp pro machine. Each computer was able to see each other a few days ago, and for some reason now i cant see the mac. The mac can connect to me but I cant connect to it. I made sure the firewall is down. Also funny thing I cant ping it either. I change the router to the linksys 54G wireless one, but havent installed the wireless card yet in the mac, so im still using the cable. I set everything up in the router how i think it should be but if anyone has any ideas that would be great

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Have you recently installed Norton utilities, Norton SystemWorks for Mac, Norton Firewall?

Kill the application if so.

Otherwise, check with the ISP?provider to see if they block anything or have started doing so.

Then use the Network utility on the Mac to see if the proper ports are open. Have it sniff out the open ports.

TB2 uses several ports, and I guess you know them, but it's worth a check.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Actually I have norton system works 3.0 installed but it was installed before all this problem happened. The ports for TB2 are open on the router and the firewall in os x server is disabled, so I'm assuming that those ports and every port is open or at least what I specified on the router. I actually even tried making the mac DMZ and I still couldn't ping it so that there just baffled me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

I actually even tried making the mac DMZ and I still couldn't ping it so that there just baffled me.

There's no point trying any other software until ping works. Maybe you don't have a route setup now...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    could very well be. I updated the firmware to the latest one. I have also reset the router to the default and that still dosent work. Just currious does it matter if its a wireless router? I assume the mac can still be pinged right? The mac is still connected via ethernet cable, i havent installed the card yet.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Can you see the internet from your home mac.

Can you ping apple.com or google.com from your home mac?

If you can see the internet but not ping a website then ICMP is probably disabled.

Dobby.