path finder 3 is out

rokrok
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
well, i was a bit leery of a "finder replacement," but i gotta admit, this is one swiss-army knife of a finder (gotta like the integrated terminal drawer).

check it out at CocoaTech.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

well, i was a bit leery of a "finder replacement," but i gotta admit, this is one swiss-army knife of a finder (gotta like the integrated terminal drawer).

check it out at CocoaTech.

PF3 is great for those that need want lots of functionality. But, IMO, that functionality is lost in the complexity and bloat brought by packing it all into one app. YMMV.

That said...10.3's Finder is simple (yet powerful) and good enough for me.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yeah, i agree. it sacrifices a bit in the "intuitive GUI" area of interface design, but for the geeks who want everything in one place, it looks right up their alley.

(edit: plus, they do have a few ideas that i could see apple "borrowing" in the future, such as alternating row background colors to assist in legibility - an itunes original later borrowed by safari's bookmarks window - which could be configured or turned off by the user), and, while i like the column view of the mac os, i also appreciate the "breadcrumb" trail they have at the top of the window, too. there must be a happy medium somwhere.)

if nothing else, kudos to cocoatech for sticking to their guns and trying to code AND sell a replacement for the most prevalent, pre-installed app on the mac... the finder.

that takes balls. or a lot of time on your hands and something to prove.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    i'm resurrecting this thread a bit because i just downloaded the latest path finder, and jesus h. tapdancin' christ, this sucker is FAST! is it actively prebinding the apps, or is something else happening here??? opening apps is scary fast.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Version 3.2 is pretty sweet. Basically, any minor flaws it used to have as far as the application menu glut and the like, are now gone because it's even more customizeable than it used to be.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Version 3.2 is pretty sweet. Basically, any minor flaws it used to have as far as the application menu glut and the like, are now gone because it's even more customizeable than it used to be.

Definitely near-perfect now. Feels very "Apple". I mean it isn't noticeably 3rd party. Feels like what Apple would have on it's Mac OS X Server.

Still a few things that I'd change. I'd rather panes ala iCal rather than drawers.

Drawers expand the bounds of the window, whereas panes just rearrange the internal content.

Panes are ok only in rare circumstances IMO.

Panes in PathFinder (when all 3 are extended, remind me of an elephant's head). But that's just an observation not a complaint
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wow, i have to admit i REALLY LOVE being able to scan through list view at 128x128. makes sorting through directories of stock photography WAAAAAY easier.