SCSI Id's on 9600?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I set up the scsi id's on my drives in my powermac Does the HD need a special ID to Load the OS on it? I can't get my powermac to load a OS....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    You normally have to remove the drive and there is a dip switch to set scsi id.

Cheers,
  • Reply 2 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    You first need to check what other units / devises you have on that chain. We use to use SCSIprobe. We also used unit #7 for our cpu. No more than one unit can have to same number. If all you have is the hard drive and a CD (which is usually #3), then you either have a bad hard drive, SCSI chain, SCSI ribbon cable, system disk or a system that isn't able to load on the 9600. The 9600 should have 2 SCSI chains, so moving to the other SCSI chain is very easy.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 3
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The main SCSI hard drive is id 0, but it shouldn't make a difference if there are no conflicts.

Have you zapped the PRAM ? (Hold down command + option + p + r immediately after booting the Mac until the Mac resets). This can fix quite a few startup problems (e.g. my 6400 didn't like the Darwin 6 CD, and PRAM zapping was needed to bring it back).