G5's optical audio out... to what?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
ok, so what are you folks connecting your G5's optical audio out to?

is there a good digital 4/5.1 setup for gaming? I have no intention of playing DVD movies on it and can't think of anything else that needs 5.1. I'm kinda curious because i've always been more of a headphone person.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    These look capable





    Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers

    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...5.10.3.26.13.0
  • Reply 2 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Lexicon MX-8

    McIntosh MX134

    B&K Reference50



    Some possible HT processor/pre-amp/receiver options...



    I wonder if when iTunes or DVD Player might support DVD-A. AAC is also capable of playing multi-channel audio.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Some of the higher end home audio has that optical in/out. Think studio and and auditorium as well. My SGI at work from 5 years ago had it.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hardcore

    ok, so what are you folks connecting your G5's optical audio out to?

    is there a good digital 4/5.1 setup for gaming? I have no intention of playing DVD movies on it and can't think of anything else that needs 5.1. I'm kinda curious because i've always been more of a headphone person.




    I'd be connecting it to my 7.1 Yamaha receiver and Acoustic energy speakers, however having bought them I now can't afford a G5...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Eugene

    Lexicon MX-8

    McIntosh MX134

    B&K Reference50



    Some possible HT processor/pre-amp/receiver options...



    I wonder if when iTunes or DVD Player might support DVD-A. AAC is also capable of playing multi-channel audio.




    I saw that and thought it was your setup for a minute. Then I realized they were all pre/pro's.



    When i get my dualie I'll be hooking it up to my MC-1 just for shits and grins.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I don't have my G5 yet, but i could easily hook that up to my A/V contoller and get the startup chime pumped through the surround sound in the living room !
  • Reply 7 of 10
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

    I don't have my G5 yet, but i could easily hook that up to my A/V contoller and get the startup chime pumped through the surround sound in the living room !



    But is the optical output enabled before the OS loads?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by chych

    But is the optical output enabled before the OS loads?





    If it isn't, I'm sending the G5 back and getting one of those new Athlon64's !!!!!!



    yeah...right !
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I don't actually have a G5 tower, and I may never if the PowerBooks continue to be as delicious as they are now, but If I did, I'd plug that optical audio straight into my stereo receiver. Beats having to buy a $120 sound card with RCA out because the speaker jack on my particular model of G4 tower fits NO OTHER DEVICE ON EARTH besides the Pro Speakers that came with it.



    I've always piped my computer sound out through my stereo. I watch DVDs on my computer and plenty of games have surround sound these days. I'm all about not owning any redundant hardware. Why have one sound setup for the computer and another for everything else? If there wasn't a slight delay when inputting video through my Formac TVR, I'd be playing console videogames through my computer monitor.



    I do, however, still have the startup chime and other system sounds play through my old Pro Speakers. Bad things tend to happen otherwise.
Sign In or Register to comment.