New 1.25G iMac VS. Refurb/Used 1G? Which is the better value?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yes, I am one of those people who actually LIKE the AIO design of the iMac, and I am in the market for a 17".

Before I begin, let me say to Matsu and others... I've heard all the arguments about why I should get a PowerMac G4 tower or PowerBook instead, because they're better values for the money. That may very well be true, and I have enjoyed reading those discussions, but the iMac is the computer I prefer. Thanks.

I currently use my lime green iMac primarily for word processing, the occasional spreadsheet and internet browsing. At some point in the future when I get a digital camera, I'd like to play around with either iPhoto or iMovie, but that's not a pressing concern right now. I'm not a gamer, but I do love ripping CDs (I love my iPod). I'm a O/S 9.2 user, so I look forward to finally stepping up to OSX, and taking advantage of all the new features (at least new to me).

So, if I have a choice between the latest version of the iMac 17" at $1799 or the last 1Gig version which runs around $1299... are the new internals for the latest refresh of the iMac enough of an upgrade worth shelling out another $500 for? Clearly, I'm not someone that needs the latest and greatest technology. I just need something that works when I turn it on, in a design that doesn't take up too much space on my desk. And I've lusted over the 17" iMac ever since it was released.

Since I also plan on also purchasing the Soundsticks (yes, I like those, too) and the low-end version of Microsoft Office, I'd prefer to spend the lesser amount. But if the new version is significant enough of a difference to make me invest more, then I'd appreciate the heads up.

Thanks!

Comments