Christian Voting Conspiracy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's an interesting conspiracy theory I've been watching coalescing.

There's been a great deal of debate about electronic touch-screen voting machines with many people asking for a paper trail to allow for confirmation of voting fraud.

Technically the matter seems clear cut, so the vociferousness with which these companies are fighting paper ballots seems somewhat odd. And, as some bright spark on slashdot pointed out, when was the last time a company willingly gave up the chance to sell overpriced consumables to a captive market?

Well here's a possible reason (note that permalinks don't seem to be working on this blog so you'll have scroll to the item titled Alert: Diebold-Faircloth Connection!

http://markcrispinmiller.blogspot.com/

And here's some background on these conspirators who seek to overthrow the American government and democracy.

http://reason.com/9811/col.olson.shtml

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Bigots
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Well, that's one way of describing them - personally I'd go for something a bit stronger.....

QED
  • Reply 3 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'm quite sure this country is secretly controlled by the Illuminati and/or some sort of masonic conspiracy.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Honi soit qui mal y pense

Shame on you. Go hate someone else.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Last time I voted there was this old busybody looking over my shoulder... that explains it.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The conspiracy theory itself is pretty far-fetched; no group that provided or ran an automated voting system would be left unchecked. Especially if it were known they had strong religious views one way or another.

However, somewhat OT: I liked Segovius' quote.

It's very sad because [many of] our ultra-conservative, born-again types are going to walk face first into a wall called Reality if ever they do meet their maker literally. They will be left with nothing but sorrow and their own self-righteousness.

Makes me sad because I have family members who may end up this way, but there's no convincing another person that they should change their religion. It only makes them cling to their illogical beliefs more tightly.

C'est la vie...

(Had to end with a French quote...)
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

The conspiracy theory itself is pretty far-fetched; no group that provided or ran an automated voting system would be left unchecked. Especially if it were known they had strong religious views one way or another.

However, somewhat OT: I liked Segovius' quote.

It's very sad because [many of] our ultra-conservative, born-again types are going to walk face first into a wall called Reality if ever they do meet their maker literally. They will be left with nothing but sorrow and their own self-righteousness.

Makes me sad because I have family members who may end up this way, but there's no convincing another person that they should change their religion. It only makes them cling to their illogical beliefs more tightly.

C'est la vie...

(Had to end with a French quote...)

Oui! Oui!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Les lapins sont mous.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Les lapins sont mous.

avec un goute comme le poulet?

. . . . raised French but can't write it worth a chicken leg . . . .
  • Reply 10 of 20
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Bigots

Iiiiiiiiiin the red corner, those who would put to death, "Not only gays but a very long list of others: blasphemers, heretics, apostate Christians, people who cursed or struck their parents, females guilty of "unchastity before marriage," "incorrigible" juvenile delinquents, adulterers, and (probably) telephone psychics. And that's to say nothing of murderers and those guilty of raping married women or "betrothed virgins.""

Iiiiiiiiiiin the blue corner, those on these boards who say that this is fundamentalism every bit as obscene as the worst excesses of Sharia.

And guess, just guess, who SCOTT IS CALLING THE BIGOTS!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I think he said "The bunnies are soft", Pfflam, but I could be mistaken of course.

• Reply 12 of 20
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Les lapins sont mous, mais les vaches sonnent «mou».
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Iiiiiiiiiin the red corner, those who would put to death, "Not only gays but a very long list of others: blasphemers, heretics, apostate Christians, people who cursed or struck their parents, females guilty of "unchastity before marriage," "incorrigible" juvenile delinquents, adulterers, and (probably) telephone psychics. And that's to say nothing of murderers and those guilty of raping married women or "betrothed virgins.""

Iiiiiiiiiiin the blue corner, those on these boards who say that this is fundamentalism every bit as obscene as the worst excesses of Sharia.

And guess, just guess, who SCOTT IS CALLING THE BIGOTS!

Well when you makeup/repeat stupid conspiracy theories about a group of people that means you are bigoted towards them.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Well when you makeup/repeat stupid conspiracy theories about a group of people that means you are bigoted towards them.

Ah ha! So Republicans are bigoted towards the other 50%. I knew it!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    " POTISSIMUM OPINIO TOTUS FOETER "

" Almost all opinions stink "8)
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Bush is not a member of the Christian right. . . he just knows who his supporters are.

As for electronic touch screen voting machines, I know one of the companies that builds these (and sells them). They also happen to do metal (copper) inlaying and various other things more interesting to the company I'm with, and we've visited their offices a few times.

They don't strike me as Christian right-wingers, nor do they strike me as the type to give in to bribes. (nor do the Christian right strike me as the type to offer bribes).

Of all the groups I'm familiar with, Christians seem to me the least likely to start a faith-initiated conspiracy. And last I checked they didn't have a motive to "put to death" all of those types that Harald noted. Disapproval is one thing, seeking death is another.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I think he said "The bunnies are soft", Pfflam, but I could be mistaken of course.

well, I tried to sy that they taste like chicken . . .
  • Reply 18 of 20
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I wonder how long it would take Harald and Segovious to start calling people out for suggesting a general muslim plan to weaking the national security of the US and the west in general. But hey, it's only wrong when it's not a christian or a jew.

Harald, spoken to many christians actually calling for death to homosexuals or "blasphemers, heretics, apostate Christians, people who cursed or struck their parents, females guilty of "unchastity before marriage," "incorrigible" juvenile delinquents, adulterers, and (probably) telephone psychics."? And how many of those would you describe as main stream christians? And would it then be as fair to draw the conclusions you made, that Islam is a religion also calling for death to those groups, but you and me and the rest of the westerm world as well?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Did anyone actually read the links? This is a specific church group we're talking about called Christian Reconstructionists, with a lot of money, big names and connections, not your pious aunt and her local pastor.

Article:

http://reason.com/9811/col.olson.shtml

Reader Responses:

http://reason.com/9902/letters.shtml