MSN shuts down its chatrooms (Really good marketing spin)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
BBC news has an article about MSN closing their free chatroom service because of "concerns about child safety"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3133192.stm

Which on the surface sounds kinda feasible except that later on they say:

"Chatrooms on MSN's other global sites will either be supervised - or moderated - by an adult 24 hours a day, or will be on a credit card subscription-basis only. "

Oh so the real reason for this is to turn the free service into a paid service!

Brilliant Marketing spin by microsoft, maybe Apple should have done something simular when they killed iTools!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    When I heard this one on the news I knew they were full of shit. We gonna close down shopping malls and swimming polls in the name of child safety?

Thanks for uncovering the ulterior motive.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Here's the other catch. They are going to lock out third party software. All in the name of child safety.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    In other news today, Adobe has stopped selling upgrades to Photoshop to make it harder for perverts to gain access to the software.

The move has been hailed by idiots as a "devoted self-sacrifice" on the behalf of Adobe.

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I can not stand it when organisations use peoples strong feelings about something to increase their profits!

When at the end of the day it's not going to do anything to stop these perverts from doing what they do. they will just move on to other ways of getting what they want.

Chat rooms dont abuse children, pedophiles do!

Microsoft should also put some of its profits towards charities helping the victims if they were serious about helping..
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Sounds like the almighty Microsoft making your mind up for you again.

Bill and his buddies certainly know a profit potential when they see one and make you think that they're doing us all a favor.

Im all for making chat rooms safer places for all to use but pulling the plug seems a bit extreme.

Looks like "free speech" is gonna be a thing of the past on the 'net.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Then the kids will discover AIM.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by tadunne1

...Oh so the real reason for this is to turn the free service into a paid service!

I'm so glad other people have noticed this.

Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

...full of shit.

Full of it, as you say.