Irony: Kazaa sues Record Labels over copyright infringement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yahoo News is reporting that the makers of Kazaa are suing the several record labels for violating copyright and the terms of service agreements

while not technically listed as a DMCA case, it seems Sharman contends that RIAA use of Kazaa-lite to sniff out "violators" either broke the software usage agreement, or amounted to some form of reverse-engineering of code in attempt to do it's sniffing.

shoe, meet other foot.

Quote:

Makers of Kazaa Are Suing Record Labels

2 hours, 17 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Turning the tables on record labels, makers of the most popular Internet song-swapping network are suing entertainment companies for copyright infringement.

Sharman Networks Ltd., the company behind the Kazaa file-sharing software, filed a federal lawsuit Monday accusing the entertainment companies of using unauthorized versions of its software in their efforts to root out users. Entertainment companies have offered bogus versions of copyright works and sent online warning messages to users.

Sharman said the companies used Kazaa Lite, an ad-less replica of its software, to get onto the network. The lawsuit also claims efforts to combat piracy on Kazaa violated terms for using the network.

Sharman's lawsuit also revives its previous allegation that the entertainment companies violated antitrust laws by stopping Sharman and its partner from distributing authorized copies of music and movies through Kazaa.

U.S. District Judge Stephen V. Wilson rejected those claims in July but last week allowed Sharman to try again. Sharman is incorporated in the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu with main offices in Sydney, Australia.

The Recording Industry Association of America called Sharman's "newfound admiration for the importance of copyright law" ironic and "self-serving."

the story continues and notes the RIAA has now dropped a suit (of 261 active legal pursuits) against a 66-year old woman it accused of pirating 2000 songs, including Thug Rappers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Sometimes it's the simple things in life...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Two thoughts here:

First of all, grabbing MP3's from some stranger's computer is illegal. You aren't paying the artist or the distributor who put money into the production of the song. No, the inherent evil in the music industry (I have a whole group of friends who are musicians and believe me, I know more about how evil the music business is than most people) does not justify breaking the law. Yes, (if any wonder) I do shop around for all of my CDs and I actually pay money for them.

Secondly, I hope that RIAA shrivels up and dies. About a year ago a coworker and I talked about how the probelm was the music distribution model and how that had to change. At the time, I thought that either MS or Sun would do what Apple is doing now with iTunes and ITMS (I didn't think that Apple would do a cross platform service). Apple's negotiating with smaller music producers is great and I think that if this becomes pervasive, then RIAA will slowly die off.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

First of all, grabbing MP3's from some stranger's computer is illegal. You aren't paying the artist or the distributor who put money into the production of the song.

This isn't so cut and dried. Sometimes it is legal, sometimes it isn't.

As I've said in a different thread, I would use services like this to test them on my networks because I knew some employees would be using them. I have to see how they effect things, and how to detect them. So, I often went on to download a song I owned on CD as a proof of concept.

So, if the RIAA sniffs out my 'stealing' I'm going to ram a boot straight through their rectum.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Also, if they shut people down for trading content that was put there by the creators - and it's out there - then they've stepped over a line.

The bottom line is that the RIAA's attempts have nothing to do with copyright law and everything to do with maintaining absolute control over distribution and pricing. They have a monopoly (or, if you prefer, a cartel) and they're using brute force methods to keep it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    The RIAA also today had to withdraw a lawsuit against Sarah Ward.

Quote:

Among the songs she was accused of sharing: "I'm a Thug," by the rapper Trick Daddy.

But Ward, 66, is a "computer neophyte" who never installed file-sharing software, let alone downloaded hard-core rap about baggy jeans and gold teeth, according to letters sent to the recording industry's agents by her lawyer, Jeffrey Beeler.

Other defendants have blamed their children for using file-sharing software, but Ward has no children living with her, Beeler said.

Moreover, Ward uses a Macintosh computer at home. Kazaa runs only on Windows-based personal computers.

The RIAA is so messed up though they sent a letter saying they could possibly re-sue Ward if more evidence becomes available at a later date.

Quote:

Jonathan Zittrain, an associate professor of Internet law at Harvard Law School, said the dismissal shows that the record companies may find it tough to prevail if their lawsuits go to court. Their legal strategy assumes that most defendants will settle rather than fight, and the lawsuits are so damaging to their public image that they cannot afford protracted legal battles with alleged file-swappers, he added.

"This is a very high-stakes strategy for the record companies," he said. "It's either going to work in the short term, or they're going to have to pull the plug on it."

You would think the RIAA would research their law suits a little more.

http://www.boston.com/business/globe...ithdraws_suit/
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

the story continues and notes the RIAA has now dropped a suit (of 261 active legal pursuits) against a 66-year old woman it accused of pirating 2000 songs, including Thug Rappers [/B]

Glad to know that the money we're burning away by buying their CDs isn't going anywhere useful.

That REALLY makes me wanna buy more CDs to support the RIAA...