Spyware on Mac's?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Simple question, the thread titles says it all really . I've got AdAware for my PC, but would I need something like that for a Mac?

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    There definitely is spyware running on Macs. Applications phoning home without your knowledge, let alone approval. The extent of this is, to my knowledge, not truly known, both in quantity as in quantity. I don't know what AdAware does, but there are several applications that usually get mentioned in discussions on this topic: Little Snitch would be one of them, as would be Netbarrier, IPNetSentry, ... off the top of my head, don't shoot me if I'm wrong. Most (all?) of these, however, do require some knowledge of general networking to be able to administer correctly. There are undoubtedly other solutions, and I hope someone'll mention them.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    eh you mean like popup ads like those from the imfamous gator and the like where random popads show up all over the place even when internet exploder wasn't open? no that isn't on mac... yet thank god. Hopefully they'll never figure out a way.

However some apps, from what I hear esp adobe apps send stuff off like about what your doing how many files you look at and stuf flike that but no pop up ads unless the website you go too has them and you don't have a popup blocker in your browser. at least that was my impression.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    There's nothing on the Mac like what you're thinking of on the PC. There's no program like AdAware, and you don't need one. You won't need an anti-virus program either.

Cheers,

John
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Actually there are spyware removers for the Mac [ http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/new...pyware&x=0&y=0 ]

Though making a program that removes nothing is easy to do.