970 released before 64-bit OS X?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've heard a lot of talk about OS X needing to be updated to a 64-bit OS for the PowerPC 970, and I've also heard a lot of talk that this shouldn't be that hard to do.

Still, I have a hard time imagining that such a change wouldn't constitute a major new version of the OS - 10.3, rather than 10.2.x.

Given that the 970 can run 32-bit code just fine, and that even at 32 bits, the 970 will be a substantial improvement over the G4, would it make sense for Apple, if 10.3 isn't right around the corner, to release new 970-based computers, with only a slightly tweaked OS 10.2.x that simply uses the 970 in 32-bit mode?

I think that would be a good move if it gets us new 970-based systems sooner that we would by waiting for OS 10.3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    os10geekos10geek Posts: 413member
    Definitely not. It would be maginally acceptable to have the Powermac 970 announced before the 64-bit OS was ready, but that would be just plain cheap. I expect all Apple Pro software titles to be ready at the time that the PM 970 ships. That means that Finalcut Pro, not Express, Web Objects, and Shake will be ready to run 64-bit.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    There are plenty of other 970 threads that this could be posted in. Please use of of them. Thanks.