Safari oddities

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I downloaded Mozilla today, nice app, but I'd rather be using Safari. However, this isn't possible, because it's acting up on me. First, a couple of specs -

iMac DV 400

320MB

OS X 10.2.6

So, it was working fine earlier. Then I ran into some problems with our new all-in-one, an HP PSC 2110, which I thought required an un/re-install. It probably didn't, but to be safe I tried to go to the HP website to get the latest driver/software. And thus it began. My homepage, Yahoo, wouldn't load. When I tried to get it to stop loading, it wouldn't. That is to say, the 'Stop loading page' widget didn't seem to register the mouse-down event. Then Safari crashed. Hmm. Try it again. Same. Ok, enough of this. Launch Camino, off to Apples' website, download Safari, trash ALL prefs and refs to it, and re-install. The same result.

So I gave up. Here's a couple of other bits o' info -

Pages load slowly or not at all

To stop loading a page I must click on the widget twice; however, this behaviour is sporadic. Some pages stop, some stop then start loading again. Inevitably Safari crashes.

Camino seems less stable as well.

Here's the real clincher - this behaviour only appears on my account, not my wifes, either of my kids, or the 'guest' account.

Um, help?

(tig)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Applications | Utilities | Disk Utility

run DU

click volume icon of your drive

select "First Aid" tab

click "Repair Permissions"

restart may be required to notice fixes

may help
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I already did that. Sorry, forgot to mention it.

(tig)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Try deleting ~/Library/Caches as well and see if there is any effect. Follow with a restart.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Try deleting ~/Library/Caches as well and see if there is any effect. Follow with a restart.

I did delete ~/Library/Caches/Safari, but not all of them. Guess I'll try that, too.

(tig)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Grimace

So I downloaded Mozilla today, nice app, but I'd rather be using Safari. However, this isn't possible, because it's acting up on me. First, a couple of specs -

iMac DV 400

320MB

OS X 10.2.6

So, it was working fine earlier. Then I ran into some problems with our new all-in-one, an HP PSC 2110, which I thought required an un/re-install. It probably didn't, but to be safe I tried to go to the HP website to get the latest driver/software. And thus it began. My homepage, Yahoo, wouldn't load. When I tried to get it to stop loading, it wouldn't. That is to say, the 'Stop loading page' widget didn't seem to register the mouse-down event. Then Safari crashed. Hmm. Try it again. Same. Ok, enough of this. Launch Camino, off to Apples' website, download Safari, trash ALL prefs and refs to it, and re-install. The same result.

So I gave up. Here's a couple of other bits o' info -

Pages load slowly or not at all

To stop loading a page I must click on the widget twice; however, this behaviour is sporadic. Some pages stop, some stop then start loading again. Inevitably Safari crashes.

Camino seems less stable as well.

Here's the real clincher - this behaviour only appears on my account, not my wifes, either of my kids, or the 'guest' account.

Um, help?

(tig)

Addendum - I launched Safari via Terminal, and I got the following messages:

2003-09-26 14:04:09.718 Safari[507] Failed to set font ("CGS Screen-Times-Roman 16.00 pt. S [] (0x015bf990) fobj=0x015bfaf0, spc=12.00") ATSUStyle 0x15BFBB0

2003-09-26 14:04:10.026 Safari[507] *** NSTimer ignoring exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException' (reason 'Failed to set font ("CGS Screen-Times-Roman 16.00 pt. S [] (0x015bf990) fobj=0x015bfaf0, spc=12.00") ATSUStyle 0x151E9C0') that raised during posting of timer with target 957600 and selector '_timedLayout:'

2003-09-26 14:04:10.670 Safari[507] *** NSTimer ignoring exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException' (reason 'Failed to set font ("CGS Screen-Times-Roman 16.00 pt. S [] (0x015bf990) fobj=0x015bfaf0, spc=12.00") ATSUStyle 0x15C7CD0') that raised during posting of timer with target 15ac9c0 and selector 'timerFired'

Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Unfortunately, I have to take off for Idaho today for work, and won't be back for about a month.

(tig)