Cults...religious fanatics....how safe are we?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was reading another thread and its various links and I started thinking. All these religious groups, and cults just scare me so 90% of the time I just don't participate in discussions about them. I know I may be acting a tad paranoid, but I've had a couple weird experiences.



Here's the story. My older brother who now lives overseas, gets mail from Scientology (he maintains he just asked them for info. once). He's lived overseas for close to 20 years, yet I still get all his Scientology mail even though I've moved 3 times.



Well, last year I get an e-mail at my .Mac account....addressed to him! WTF? I suscribed to .Mac with my mailing address, not my home address. We don't share any names but our last name. We have never shared a phone number either and we have never corresponded via that e-mail account. ???



Just the other day, I get a call from a Scientology guy...for my brother. I asked him how he got my number and he just said he was given a list of people to call. I told him my brother had been living overseas for 20 years and this guy still wants his number! I politely declined to give it to him and asked him to remove my number from the list.



I haven't heard from them since, and hopefully I won't again. But how do this people do it though? How do they get their information?Impressive and scary at the same time. Anyone else have or heard about similar experiences?







Disclaimer:To the nice Scientology people I just want to say that I don't think they're fanatical or cultists. In fact the building in Hollywood is very nice and I'm sure they're all wonderful people.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Gilsch

    Disclaimer:To the nice Scientology people I just want to say that I don't think they're fanatical or cultists. In fact the building in Hollywood is very nice and I'm sure they're all wonderful people.



    Their real estate holdings are the only solid thing about the Scientologists.



    How a pay-as-you-go, science-fiction based scam got 'church' status, I'll never figure out.



    Operation Clambake
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Read the book by Hubbard's kid, Ron Jr, and you'll get a lot of answers on how this organization got its legs. Wish I could remember the title...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by JimDreamworx

    Read the book by Hubbard's kid, Ron Jr, and you'll get a lot of answers on how this organization got its legs. Wish I could remember the title...



    This one? link
  • Reply 4 of 10
  • Reply 5 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Depends on what you mean by "safe".



    Personally, I'm very safe because it would be impossible for me to care less about what people believe. But if you want to concern yourself with cults then maybe you aren't so "safe".
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Check out the relationship between Moon and the Bushes ( both of them). Very scary.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by groverat

    Depends on what you mean by "safe".



    Personally, I'm very safe because it would be impossible for me to care less about what people believe. But if you want to concern yourself with cults then maybe you aren't so "safe".




    You couldn't care less what people believe? lol..good for you! that is related to the topic how again?

    I wouldn't be concerned if there hadn't been an effort from "someone" to investigate my name to see if I might be related to my brother. Maybe you should've read the post first. I'll keep it simpler next time ok?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Yeah for almost 2 years the Mormons stalked me. Freaky....
  • Reply 9 of 10
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    'Thou shall have no other gods before Me.'



  • Reply 10 of 10
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by 709

    'Thou shall have no other gods before Me.'





    Lol...good one.



    Not Unlike,maybe it was an NBA rivalry thing? maybe they were Utah Jazz fans?
Sign In or Register to comment.