iPod Mounting Problems...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

I have a 15 GB iPod with Dock. I connect it to my iMac running OS X, and it doesn't mount properly. I connected it, and the iPod screen says, "Do not disconnect", and has the circle with a line through it logo flashing. But it doesn't mount on the desktop at all. iTunes doesn't open up, nothing happens.

I open the iPod Software Updater program, and it recognises iPod is attached, but not mounted. Why isn't it mounting?

I've tried re-setting it, not using the Dock, restarting the Mac, but it just doesn't mount.

On the odd occasion it does mount, it works fine. But it doesn't seem to mount when I leave it plugged in, and I restart the Mac.

What is wrong here? Is it the iMac or iPod?

Thanks. m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mmbarthezmmbarthez Posts: 40member
    I am having the same problem on my 15 gb ipod too, I have been having it for a few months, and I still can't figure it out. I tried all the same things you did, and it just happens to work sometimes, and not work others.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    karrickkarrick Posts: 17member
    I hope what I am about to share can help thousands of people!!!

After buying myself a 40GB iPod and enjoying how well it worked with my Powerbook, I splurged and purchased a iPod mini for my wife.

She wasn't impressed.

After several months of trouble-shooting with AppleCare, and even sending the iPod back twice, we finally were able to fix these mounting problems she was having, but I had never experienced.

It turned out that in addition to my wife's iPod mini plugged into the eMac's firewire port, there was my wife's iSight plugged into the eMac's other firewire port. We leave the iSight turned off unless we are using it, but we logically leave it plugged in.

Because both firewire ports on an eMac are physically connected to one firewire controller chipset on the computer's mainboard, they are electronically connected. Since the iSight was turned off, but still plugged in, the eMac's firewire chipset gave us all types of mounting problems when we attempted to connect her iPod mini to that computer. Sometimes we could mount, sometimes we couldn't. Sometimes we could sync with iTunes, but most of the time, we couldn't get beyond 40 or so songs...

The solution, either turn on every other device on the computer's firewire ports, or unplug those devices that you wish to leave off.

Now everything works like a champ.

I hope this helps,

Karrick