Reset power manager on new 15" PB?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello.

My new PB 15" (my first Mac!) just arrived and is not powering on at all. No "boing", no lights except for power adapter plug (showing green) and the battery status if I push the button on the battery (it shows 3 out of 5 dots).

The only "boing" I am getting is the lid popping open if I don't close it with some oomph. I figure that will improve with time. The no power up has me much more concerned.

Anyway, the online advice for reseting the power manager talks about a reset button. I don't see a reset button anywhere on my Mac.

This is very frustrating. I've been too excited to sleep waiting for this to show up... and then no "boing".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smurf

Hello.

My new PB 15" (my first Mac!) just arrived and is not powering on at all. No "boing", no lights except for power adapter plug (showing green) and the battery status if I push the button on the battery (it shows 3 out of 5 dots).

The only "boing" I am getting is the lid popping open if I don't close it with some oomph. I figure that will improve with time. The no power up has me much more concerned.

Anyway, the online advice for reseting the power manager talks about a reset button. I don't see a reset button anywhere on my Mac.

This is very frustrating. I've been too excited to sleep waiting for this to show up... and then no "boing".

Haha "boing" was referring to a latch problem which you don't want. The problem of your computer sounds serious..make sure the battery is in correctly. I know somone posted a link to apple support online where it said how to reset the power manager (it was under they keyboard, not sure about the new ones.) I will say the little I know doesn't make it sound like that would be the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Hey Thanks. I'll look for the link. Now to figure out how to get under the keyboard. Hmmm... doesn't look as easy as the iBook I played with at work briefly last week.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Read the manual that came with your computer!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Read the manual that came with your computer!

Yeah. Thanks. Already did. It suggested the following:

1. Check power adapter. Make sure green or amber light is on.

2. Check Battery. Make sure more than one dot. If not, let charge.

3. Press power button and immediately press Command, Option, P, & R until you hear the statup sound a second time. (I have yet to hear a startup sound at all).

4. Check that memory was installed correctly.

5. Call Apple Care.

So I tried #1 through #4 before posting to AppleInsider. That led me to an Apple <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449">online document</a> where they suggest pressing Shift, Control, Option, & Power at the same time, then releasing and waiting 5 seconds.

Then I tried #5. They suggested the later (online) trick, then gave me the number of the Apple Store. So I'm about to call them unless anyone has any other brilliant suggestions.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Well. After some serious phone run-around and lots of time on hold, I'm now packing up my powerbook for return to Apple. They'll send a replacement as soon as possible after they have confirmation that the DOA one is on its way.

It's a shame really. Not only was I so excited, but I still think it's probably just some unplugged connector inside. Unfortunately, if I were to open it up to check, my warranty would be moot. So back it goes.

Man. I'm really disappointed. I'm trying to think different, really... but it's hard.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smurf

Well. After some serious phone run-around and lots of time on hold, I'm now packing up my powerbook for return to Apple. They'll send a replacement as soon as possible after they have confirmation that the DOA one is on its way.

It's a shame really. Not only was I so excited, but I still think it's probably just some unplugged connector inside. Unfortunately, if I were to open it up to check, my warranty would be moot. So back it goes.

Man. I'm really disappointed. I'm trying to think different, really... but it's hard.

I guess they don't let you get a new one from an AppleStore and give them your DOA?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Unfortunately, even if that were an option, I don't live near an Apple store that I know of.

As it is, I ordered the high-end 15" with a single 512MB SO-DIMM rather than the standard pair of 256MB ones. So it's a "custom" build and ships from Taiwan. *sigh*

Looks like I'll just have to be patient. Now if only the return labels would show up so I can get this one into the mail and keep the ball rolling. They said that the order for mine to be built will get inserted into the queue ahead of any other "non DOA replacement" orders. It will not ship until they have the tracking number for the return. With any luck I'll have a replacement sometime the week after next.

I can at least be hopeful that the replacement will not only start, but will have a reliable lid latch.