Iomegaware... should i bother?

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i've finally got a rig i can hook up my old iomega zip and jaz drives to. they both seem to function fine as is. of course, iomega recommends installing iomegaware, but it adds iomega specific .kext's. i am sure iomega would claim it is for "features and speed," but should i even bother if the disks seem to show up just fine without it? plus, it is worrisome that they say ont he website that iomegaware is for mac os x 10.1-10.2.1. is that a typo?

anyone else run iomega drivers under os x and wish to comment/advise?

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    There is actually a program called ZipTools that comes with your ZipDrive or can be downloaded from their website that allows you to perform certain functions that you can't do any other way. On of the more useful things you can do is to make your Zip or Jazz password protected or read only. I work at a publishing house and many times we would send out Zip disks to designers and they would never return them. I started making them read only and then they were more inclined to return them because you would need a password to change the disk back to read and write. You can also do complete disk wipes. Most people don't really care about doing these kind of things and so I think that most people don't even bother with installing the extra ZipTools. I don't believe that ZipTools is preloaded with your system only the drivers are preloaded.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, i opted to put it on my system, only because iomega offers an uninstall feature as well as the install (unlike, what, 90% of everyone else out there?).

i forgot about the read/write protection. in fact, several of my disks were write protected (it had been a while since i had used 'em). and write protecting (with password) is good because no one can accidentally put a virus back on your disk when they send it back to you.

all in all, i will give it a try. so far, no kernel panics.