BitTorrent Legal?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How are these BitTorrent trackers not shutdown? Many (not all) of them clearly provide links to software that is copyrighted. How have they not shut down these sites?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

How are these BitTorrent trackers not shutdown? Many (not all) of them clearly provide links to software that is copyrighted. How have they not shut down these sites?

SHHHH!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

SHHHH!!!!

Should I change my first post so the big companies don't find out about it?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Well rumor has it that the BSA lets it slide because they are tracking users. Maybe that is why it is still around...who knows though.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Feh. They ain't tracking sh!t...YET.

Simply put, those sites aren't large enough and loud enough to get smacked down. They will, eventually...and then another way of disseminating the same bits will be found.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I always got slow speed d/l from BT..... even tho I'm on a T1 network..

so I don't like BT..\\

some even said it will decrease the life span of the hard disk.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

I always got slow speed d/l from BT..... even tho I'm on a T1 network..

so I don't like BT..\\

some even said it will decrease the life span of the hard disk.

and if you masterbate.. When you masterbate you get hairy palms.

flick.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    BT always got shit dl speed. The way it is set up is retarded. There are duplicate files, like the same movie, say T3, but millions of different "Torrent Files." And no "Search" for BT. Great tech, being able to download a partial, but a stupid stupid implementation. I wish Kazaa would incorporate their tech into their system, after, it's open source right.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

BT always got shit dl speed. The way it is set up is retarded. There are duplicate files, like the same movie, say T3, but millions of different "Torrent Files." And no "Search" for BT. Great tech, being able to download a partial, but a stupid stupid implementation. I wish Kazaa would incorporate their tech into their system, after, it's open source right.

Given that, if you believe the original developers (see http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html) it was really developed as a download accelerator/load reduction tool for people legitimately distributing software (read linux distributions etc), the implementation is not stupid.

Its just not primarily intended for that kind of p2p activity.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    BT generally gives me good speeds between 80-100KB/s. It takes a good couple min or two before it connects to all the seeds though, so be patient people. I think BT is awesome technology, just because it's not easy to search for warez doesn't make a program bad!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    You may as well ask of FTP or HTTP is legal.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

You may as well ask of FTP or HTTP is legal.

I shouldn't have said BitTorent. I mean the site that track what files are available. I mean publically displaying warez instead of hiding it behind accounts and agreements (carracho/hotline/ftp) is different. To my knowledge there are not many sites (http)that provide illegal downloads.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I wish Kazaa would incorporate their tech into their system, after, it's open source right.

kazaa is not open source. it has been cracked and figured out by some great hackers, but every so often the kazaa people change it, blocking out old clients (and their OSS equivalents). and if the OSS devs were to make a kazaa/bt hybrid it would likely not fit in with the current kazaa network (therefore it would lose most/all its userbase).
  • Reply 13 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Of course I didn't mean Kazaa I meant BT. Even for legit files there seem to be duplicate seeds spreading around bandwidth. It's inefficient.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flick Justice

and if you masterbate.. When you masterbate you get hairy palms.

flick.

I don't need your advice.... please take care of yourself first.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

I don't need your advice.... please take care of yourself first.

I used to think that BT sucked too. But that was only because I didn't have the latest version. To all of you here that are complaining that it's slow: download the latest version here.

This updated version adds an upload limiter. I always set mine to 1 kb/sec and I always get highass download speeds. I usually get 80-150 kb/sec for what ever I download if there are enough seeds.

Good luck.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

I used to think that BT sucked too. But that was only because I didn't have the latest version. To all of you here that are complaining that it's slow: download the latest version here.

This updated version adds an upload limiter. I always set mine to 1 kb/sec and I always get highass download speeds. I usually get 80-150 kb/sec for what ever I download if there are enough seeds.

Good luck.

Setting your upload to 1 KB/s defeats the purpose of BitTorrent entirely.

It's an extremely useful tool for grabbing big, in-demand files that can take a lot of strain off the original host... but only if everyone uploads.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daver

Setting your upload to 1 KB/s defeats the purpose of BitTorrent entirely.

It's an extremely useful tool for grabbing big, in-demand files that can take a lot of strain off the original host... but only if everyone uploads.

Heh that's entirely true but my upload rate really sucks and it slows me down horribly... So if I don't wanna render my DSL connnection useless when I still wanna use it then I set it to 1k. Otherwise overnight and whatnot I turn that feature off and I just let people leech.