What would a follower of Jesus have to do differently?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Say you're an average-American living in the 21st century. What kind of life would you have to lead in order to follow Jesus? What would you have to stop doing and then start doing?

If you look at Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5) , Jesus prescribes a set way of living. If you look at the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20), God prescribes what not to do. Keep in mind that Jesus doesn't refute the Ten Commandments but expounds on them.

But how different would it be to drop everything and follow Jesus?

I think it would be very different for the average American.

For instance:

We couldn't work on Sunday, say "God dammit," commit adultery, covet ANYTHING.

It seems that we would not be able to defend ourselves, given the turn the cheek argument. gah.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Cuss, fück around, use various drugs, hang out in bars till the sun rises, then, when you get to be 30 and completely in love with yourself (never underestimate self-confidence!), start a cult walking around saying you're the son of sam, or god, or some other long-tailed creature. Get killed in some backwards region (you know what I'm thinking about, it starts with T and ends with ass, minus that last -s). You see, the true beauty of at least one branch of christianity, catholicism, is that no matter how far you stray (like Jesus), just repenting and doing penance will get you off the hook with that angry wide-nostriled unicorn up in the sky.

What was the question again?

Oh, I remember: to answer in short: nothing, just remember to do the time before you die (and hope that you don't die before having had the chance to do the time).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    haha kopf

live before you die. teach that. too many people are afraid of living .. and afraid of dieing, and they still die. \