Educational Discount at Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone bought using their educational discount at an Apple sore? I think they can do that right... what do you need to show them to prove that you are a student or teacher... any kind of ID you need to bring or something? The post with what happened to that one persons Apple Display makes me want to not get it shipped by FedEx or UPS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I don't know how it's done in the US, but here in Oz, you simply flash your student ID card at the store's staff member serving you, and they'll take it away, verify it, give it back then and there, and process the educational discount order with Apple. For me this may take up to an hour, while they confirm the transaction with Apple, (because I went to Next Byte, an AppleCentre, and you may go to one of Apple's AppleStores). Easy! m.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    you can get hardware on discount. For software, you have to order through the online store. You need your college id and your driver's license.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    As I posted the last time this came up.

Apple charges tax. Tends to wipe out the edu discount. So in my case online no tax ~= Apple edu tax so I bought online no tax.

Run the numbers and see what's best for you.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Well the only reason I am considering this is because I dont want it to get wrecked on-route like what happened to that other AI members display
  • Reply 5 of 13
    The monitor I purchased will probably still work... If it does not they will replace it no prob.

The Apple rep told me the boxes are built to withstand a drop several stories with no probs, so it might be alright.

Go with the online store... : )
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Do the math first... sometimes, the tax wipes out the edu discount, sometimes it doesn't. For example, my eMac cost me $960 including a swivel base AND tax, for the 1 GHz/Combo model. Brand new, it's $999 not including the base or tax. In my particular case, the educational discount on the eMac was quite significant, enough to far outweigh the tax.

With a flat panel iMac, however, it's only $100 off. That works out to about the same amount whether you order from Apple or some other place.

Of course, if you're in California, you'll have a lot higher tax than I do (I'm in Minnesota, it's 7% here I think), so you have to plan accordingly.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I was under the impression that the Apple Retail Stores did *not* accept student IDs or give educational discounts. What they were doing was showing people how to buy a computer through the online educational store, but they weren't actually selling the hardware they had at the stores for educational prices.

If this does work, buy your computer at the retail store in Salem, NH. That would give you an educational discount and you would pay no sales tax at all.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    My mum purchased my dads ipod yesterday with her Teacher discount. And shes not even a full time teacher either. Just showed them her id and that was that.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I was under the impression that the Apple Retail Stores did *not* accept student IDs or give educational discounts.

Some may not, but several certainly do.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

I was under the impression that the Apple Retail Stores did *not* accept student IDs or give educational discounts. What they were doing was showing people how to buy a computer through the online educational store, but they weren't actually selling the hardware they had at the stores for educational prices.

If this does work, buy your computer at the retail store in Salem, NH. That would give you an educational discount and you would pay no sales tax at all.

All Apple Retail Stores Accept both educational and federal discounts in store, and you can walk out with the hardware right then and there.

You need proof of enrollment (class schedule, letter of acceptance, school ID etc..) and a valid form of identification (passport, drivers liscence)
  • Reply 11 of 13
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by liquidh2o

All Apple Retail Stores Accept both educational and federal discounts in store, and you can walk out with the hardware right then and there.

You need proof of enrollment (class schedule, letter of acceptance, school ID etc..) and a valid form of identification (passport, drivers liscence)

I worked in an ARS for two years and this is the case. All you need is some form of ID connecting you to the school and a valid photo ID.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I can tell from firsthand experience that the Apple retail stores do indeed honor education discounts. I was there with my friend and she bought an iPod and an extra iBook power supply and we asked one of the floor people there "hey, she's a college student...she'll get the education discount, right?"

He said "yep, no problem...just tell the person at the register and they'll need to see your ID".

Sure enough, the woman rang her up and she got the iPod for $369 and the power supply for $71. She just had to show her UTC ID card.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Another big "affirmative" on the edu discount at the Apple store. I got my 15"PB Superdrive for 2,299 + tax. That's $300 off of normal retail. That's also a bigger savings than just saving sales tax (5% x 2,599 = 129.95). I also ended up getting a closeout 30GB iPod for $398 after promo and student discounts (plus a $200 rebate so 198 final).