My crystal ball: 6.0+ quake will hit SF in October

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An 8.0 in the Pacific Rim. We're headed into October...a month that has seen its fair share of Bay Area disasters. Loma Prieta, Oakland Hills Fire, etc...There's new construction on the lot adjacent to my house. When the Loma Prieta quake hit, there was new construction across from where I lived in then. It's also been crazy hot, so it may be balanced by rain next month...rain always seems to follow disasters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Check this out:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...on_030915.html

On the 15th, this japanese astronomer predicted a 7+ quake for japan some time in the following week.

Then what happened?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapc...ake/index.html
  • Reply 2 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My building may be old, but that means its stood the test of time. I love living on a fault line!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

My building may be old, but that means its stood the test of time. I love living on a fault line!

Heh, dude. I lived @ Hillside my freshman year ('98). There was a 2.0 on the Hayward fault up around Richmond/Pinole that nearly knocked me out of my chair and did knock the guy the floor above me out of his bed. One chick from Houston, TX went got all paranoid and didn't want to get out of her bed...she thought the floor beneath her was going to collapse.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    It is good to live on the East Coast 8)

Especially in PA. We barely get hurricanes, hardly ever hear of a tornado and never get earthquakes. Hell even the snowstorms aren't that bad!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

It is good to live on the East Coast 8)

Especially in PA. We barely get hurricanes, hardly ever hear of a tornado and never get earthquakes. Hell even the snowstorms aren't that bad!

Hmm, you're missing out. I get a thrill out of earthquakes. I'd think snowstorms could do a lot of damage, especially if they're more common than not. Pipe damage, roof damage, slow business, unusable roads, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Rats. I thought this thread was about some kind of new insider information that the G5s could be fabbed at .05 microns (or whatever) and thus were going to hit 6 Ghz by MWSF.

sigh

Oh, and remember, parts of PA is still in seismic code 2A (scale is 1-4).

Truly seismically-inert areas are off the E-W coasts.

Now there hasn't been a big earthquake on the East Coast in a while, but they do happen, e.g.:

http://geology.about.com/library/bl/blboston1755eq.htm

and many parts of the East Coast have an old building stock ill-equipted to handle ground shaking.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Hmm, you're missing out. I get a thrill out of earthquakes. I'd think snowstorms could do a lot of damage, especially if they're more common than not. Pipe damage, roof damage, slow business, unusable roads, etc.

They could do a lot of damage but they usually don't around here. They're mostly an inconvenience, especially when you have to shovel a lot of it to get out of your driveway. Besides, we really don't get a lot of them anyway. I think as far as weather anomolies and natural disasters, this area of the country gets the least.

Though I do have to admit I've always wondered what an earthquake feels like. I'd probably crap my pants if I was ever in one though....unless I was outside, in a field, away from any tall structures
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timo

Oh, and remember, parts of PA is still in seismic code 2A (scale is 1-4).

Now there hasn't been a big earthquake on the East Coast in a while, but they do happen, e.g.:

http://geology.about.com/library/bl/blboston1755eq.htm

and many parts of the East Coast have an old building stock ill-equipted to handle ground shaking.

D'oh. Maybe I'll find out what an earthquake feels like afterall. 1755! It looks like we're due.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    We have small earthquakes very often. The last one off of Cape Ann (Gloucester, and my old town of Manchester) was felt here in Hollis.

The natives reported an earthquake so large in 1616 (four years before the Pilgrims arrived) that it drastically changed the shape of the coast line.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Timo

...and many parts of the East Coast have an old building stock ill-equipted to handle ground shaking.

Actualy, there was a 3.8 earthquake in Hunterdon County, NJ a month or two ago. And we just had a few tornados touch down a few days after Isabel nicked the state. It's not safe! Aaaah!