powerbook resolution with external display???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
from a total newbie...

went to an Apple store today and asked about the use of a display with a pb. The very professional rep indicated that I must take into account the resolution of the powerbood with regard to the dispay performance. She said that a 12 inch pb cannot dispay with the same res as a 15 or 17 inch pb can. I question her statement. ... regardless of the pb size, once the image (or whatever) is downloaded, I think that the res would depend upon the res of thedisplay... not the indivicual computer.

please help and comment... as I am contemplating the ole pb v. desktop decision.... and want to know if a 12" will display with the same res as a 15 or 17" pb.

Tx bd611

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I have no trouble running external monitors at 1600x1200 from my rev. A 12" PowerBook. With the rev. B's better graphics card, I wouldn't imagine any problems. Sounds like the sales rep. might have been refering to the PowerBooks' integrated displays?

Edit: welcome to Appleinsider!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Here's a quote from a page on Apple's website:

Quote:

Put your work on display

Want to present your ideas on a bigger screen? Use the built-in DVI port on the 17-inch and 15-inch PowerBooks and the mini-DVI port on the 12-inch PowerBook to connect to the 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display, the 20-inch Apple Cinema Display or the 17-inch Apple Studio Display. The Apple DVI to ADC Adapter offers more than just a physical connection between a DVI port and a digital ADC monitor. It?s been designed to maintain the digital integrity of the video signal to give you the ultimate pure digital experience.

also from another page on Apple's website.

Quote:

Versatile video-out capabilities

The new 12-inch PowerBook G4 comes with built-in support for DVI, VGA, S-video and composite video signals. And since the 12-inch PowerBook supports dual display mode and video mirroring, you can extend your work area and mirror your projects to an external display or projector ? perfect for presentations and for sharing your ideas. You can also display your multimedia projects on a big-screen TV, thanks to S-video and composite video output capability: Simply connect your TV to the mini-DVI port via the Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter, which is sold separately.

This makes me believe that you can use a dual display setup where the second display is larger than the built in display of your powerbook. Depending on the type of second monitor you have, you plug it in to the proper video port.

Welcome to AppleInsider.