Panther: can you drag files to a minimized window?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can you minimize a Finder window to the Dock, and then drop files in it? (That doesn't work in Jaguar, and would make moving things from place to place easier. The destination wouldn't have to hog screen space!)

What about drag-and-dropping to other apps--like dropping a URL file on a docked Safari window? Or dragging a text-clipping onto a docked TextEdit window? (I'd expect it should insert the text at the doc's cursor.)

Just wondering. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    i think once you use expose, these things will no longer plague your sleep!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Ya... Expose takes care of that
  • Reply 3 of 11
    The Dock assumes that when you drag a file into it that you want to add it. I doubt that will ever change since it makes a lot more sense.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i really like expose, but i have to admit that the minimize-to-dock seems to be at conflict with it. for those who are running panther, if you have minimized windows and activate expose, do the minimized windows come out of the dock temporarily? to me, it would only make sense.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i really like expose, but i have to admit that the minimize-to-dock seems to be at conflict with it. for those who are running panther, if you have minimized windows and activate expose, do the minimized windows come out of the dock temporarily? to me, it would only make sense.

No they do not. When a window is minimized it is assumed that you're not currently working with it but would like to use it later. Exposé is meant for quickly navigating the windows which you are currently working with.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ringo

No they do not. When a window is minimized it is assumed that you're not currently working with it but would like to use it later. Exposé is meant for quickly navigating the windows which you are currently working with.

Sounds quite logical to me. I'm sure it'll be useful when it comes, yet adding putting a file in a minimized window would be even more to look forward to!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Is Exposé smooth at all, or is it jerky when (de)activated? m.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Is Exposé smooth at all, or is it jerky when (de)activated? m.

It's pretty smooth on my 500mhz iBook. I'd guess there's about 15 steps and that's without QE. It seems to me that the smoothness is on par with the genie effect.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Expose was smooth with my 800 MHz iBook, and that was running one of the earliest developer releases.

One cool thing - moving files to iPhoto was really easy. Basically, I had iPhoto taking the whole screen (on a 12" iBook, it just about has to). I hit F11 to show the desktop, and started dragging a file that was on the desktop. Then I hit F9 to show all the windows, placed the file over the minimized iPhoto window, pressed F9 again to get the iPhoto window up front, and let go. It may take some getting used to at first but it's really cool how you can drag an item through multiple Expose window shifts.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I won't lose sleep over it, but I hope Apple dies let you drop files into Docked Finder windows. It's a natural thing to attempt, and takes one less click/motion (and less space) than maximizing the window. Not the only way to do anything--but a way that should work.

I am looking forward to Exposé. I wish I could have Apple's Jaguar-beta Minimize-In-Place AND Exposé, but if I can only have one, I'll take Exposé. So, 2 questions:

1. Do any of exposé's modes reveal minimized windows along with the rest?

Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

One cool thing - moving files to iPhoto was really easy. Basically, I had iPhoto taking the whole screen (on a 12" iBook, it just about has to). I hit F11 to show the desktop, and started dragging a file that was on the desktop. Then I hit F9 to show all the windows, placed the file over the minimized iPhoto window, pressed F9 again to get the iPhoto window up front, and let go.

2. Can Luca's procedure (app hides desktop; get icon from there into the app) be done using hot corners without using keys? (The part about picking iPhoto--can you just hover or something?)

TIA
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Expose was smooth with my 800 MHz iBook, and that was running one of the earliest developer releases.

One cool thing - moving files to iPhoto was really easy. Basically, I had iPhoto taking the whole screen (on a 12" iBook, it just about has to). I hit F11 to show the desktop, and started dragging a file that was on the desktop. Then I hit F9 to show all the windows, placed the file over the minimized iPhoto window, pressed F9 again to get the iPhoto window up front, and let go. It may take some getting used to at first but it's really cool how you can drag an item through multiple Expose window shifts.

i could be mis-reading you, but if you have iPhoto open - can't you just push F11 to show the desktop - grab your file - push F11 again, and just drop it into iPhoto?