iPod connectors; what can they do?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm curious about the I/O pins on both the top and the bottom of the new iPod. On the top is the connection for the remote and on the bottom is the dock connector.

Between the two, exactly what I/O can occur and from which point (top or bottom?)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I'm curious about the I/O pins on both the top and the bottom of the new iPod. On the top is the connection for the remote and on the bottom is the dock connector.

Between the two, exactly what I/O can occur and from which point (top or bottom?)

On the bottom:

This is the Dock connector. The cable that plugs into the Dock also plugs into this port, (it is the same). The other end of this cord is FireWire 400.

On the top:

There are two connectors. The little square one is for the iPod remote functionality. The remote plugs into both ports at the same time, (the plug looks like a little white box with two 'prongs' sticking out of it). The other one is just a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack - nothing special there. m.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I think you'll find he's referring to what facilities does the dock connector offer because it has audio in connections and such and is way over developed for a simple power plug. It would be cheaper to use a non-proprietary connector if all they intended was power. I haven't pulled the iPod apart to look so I will leave it to someone else to say what's actually there.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Thanks Telomar, you are correct. I'm more curious about the number of pins and what each one does.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Well there is line out, power, firewire and usb in there somewhere!

I guess there is probably line IN, and perhaps a copy of the 4 remote connectors.

I am on the ADC mailing list, and as far as I know there have been no pin-out listings made anywhere.... yet
  • Reply 5 of 7
    On stereo headphones there are two "bands" around the plug, but on the iPods the headphone jack can accomadate THREE. My digital camcorder has three outputs (right and left audio, and VIDEO) I wonder what the third one is there for? The little square thing next to it is for the remote so...

Macaddict16
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Just a guess, but I'd imagine it is probably for text display, as per minidisc players
  • Reply 7 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Call me nuts, but I'd have to guess a mic (line-in). Come the fvck on already, Apple, we know a voice recorder is buried in there somewhere, will you please enable the damn feature so some of us can get some use out of your little toy!