ITMS Canada when?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there any recent rumors or reports that point...to quote a magic 8 ball... signs to yes on ITMS Canada? Or are we still floating adrift when it comes to ITMS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myst

Is there any recent rumors or reports that point...to quote a magic 8 ball... signs to yes on ITMS Canada? Or are we still floating adrift when it comes to ITMS.

My guess is iTMS for Window in U.S. first, then Europe, then Canada.

Alas, with a population of only 30 million, we're not high on the priority list.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The Globe and Mail reported a few months ago that iTMS Canada would launch this fall. I imagine that our close ties with the U.S. should make licensing issues a bit easier to resolve. Actually, licensing might not be as much of an issue as CANCON (Canadian Content) regulations could be. Apple Canada might have to ensure there is the necessary number of Canadian artist represented before it is allowed to launch. Though I don't know if retail music stores have to follow the same strict regulations as radio stations do.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Apple Canada might have to ensure there is the necessary number of Canadian artist represented before it is allowed to launch. Though I don't know if retail music stores have to follow the same strict regulations as radio stations do.

No, they don't.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Canada will probably be next. There are different label affiliations, but they are not as complicated as the ones in the various European countries. Apple has no control, they request licenses and have to wait. I don't think you'll find songs for 99 cents Canadian, however.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If iTMS Canada is charging 99cents US per song I will never purchase any song from them.

Western Canada probably is the cheapest place in North America to buy music CDs. If I look around I can buy a full new release album for around $13.00-$14.50 CDN.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

If iTMS Canada is charging 99cents US per song I will never purchase any song from them.

Western Canada probably is the cheapest place in North America to buy music CDs. If I look around I can buy a full new release album for around $13.00-$14.50 CDN.

I was was wondering what they would charge for iTMS in Canada. 0.99US is too much IMO, but 0.99 Canadian would be undercutting the US store. I wonder what Apple will do. Or is this something out of apple's control?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    not to mention some CDs do come with free gifts