Linksys or OS X DHCP Problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
For some reason, every once in awhile my internet connection drops and I can not surf the internet, but I am somehow still signed on in iChat. I do not understand why webpages do not load. Everytime this happens, I have to renew my IP address. This is becoming a pain in the butt because I have to sign on and off iChat.

I use a linksys wireless router with a 4 port switch, where I am almost always connected directly to the switch. Anyway, does anyone know how I can fix this problem? I thought it was because the linksys "releases" my IP after a certain amount of time, but I changed the time for releasing IPs and it didn't work. I'm not too sure if assignming a static IP would work either, but I am willing to try it ( as long as someone teaches me how to do it). I have read some reports on MacFixIt about DHCP problems, so maybe it is OS X. I do have the 10.2.8 update, but everything works "fine" and this problem has occured since 10.1. I have just now gotten fed up with it and am searching for help. Anyway, all help is appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Ask your ISP?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    If you want to change from DHCP to static ip and its your own DHCP server (ie linksys router) then go to your network prefs. Jot down the ip info on the DHCP page. Change to either DHCP with static address and type in the previously loaded ip address or change to manual and enter everything.

There shouldn't be a problem if there are only 1 or 2 deviced on the DHCP server.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I've had problems with my wireless/4-port linksys router as well. I have mine set to use static IPs.

One thing I noticed was that internet connections would slow down and then stop until I reset my router. A firmware update a while ago fixed that. Maybe check and see if there is a firmware update for your router. (check www.linksys.com)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    make sure to download and install the latest firmware for the linksys router. mine is: v1.30.7, Jul. 8, 2003. cure some speed transfer issues with the linksys wireless g card that's in my wife's pismo powerbook, and enabled other wireless protocols in the router, too. no problems since upgrading.

the firmware update is NOT easy to find on the linksys website. basically, g rooting around for firmware updates for your equipment, and when it asks for operating system, no version of "mac" will show up, so just choose "other." download the ".bin" to your hard drive, log onto you router from your web browser, and apply the firmware update from within that.

(oops, just read rrabu's post. pretty much sums it up).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Originally posted this in another thread:

I have a friend who currently has a working DSL connection tied into two PCs, where the connection is shared via a Linksys Router. He notes that when plugged in via Ethernet cable to the router, his Speed-Hole G4 will not recognize the router / connection.

Assuming he is using the DHCP setting and nothing is happening, what is the best way to get his box up and running on DSL? Should he log in (via browser?) to 192.168.1.1 and check specific settings there? If so, which ones?

What are some quick fixes in a situation like this? I may end up going to his home to help him out, so I want to go armed with some ideas of how to get this thing going.

Presumably if the router is working with the PCs and DSL, then somewhere in the PC networking control panels, there will be the appropriate DNS, router number, etc... right? We just need to get the connection shared over to Mac.

Also, once we are at that point, if there's anything special we need to do to get Windows file sharing set up (just check off the appropriate box in the Pref Pane, right?), please let me know.