Doonesbury took my idea!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A while back I had a thread about doing a pre-emptive recall on Issa should he be elected. I kind of dropped the issue when Issa dropped out and, frankly, I'm a fan of Ahnold and wanted to see him get the governorship.

What the hell, after all, it's not my state. If they elect Gary Coleman it won't bother me.

But it looks like Doonesbury has championed the notion of a pre-emptive recall on Ahnold...

Recall Ballot

First question- Do you think this is really valid? The postcard looks legit, but can signatures be submitted this way or must it be by petition.

Second question- As in the last thread, is this legal? Recalling a sitting governor is one thing, but pre-emptively recalling one?

Third question- If legit I wonder if any papers refused to run it. Doonesbury tends to piss of the more conservative newspapers. They never seem to block BC for it's asinine anti-evolution rhetoric, but they've definately blocked Doonesbury in the past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I thought the comic was hella funny and still consider mailing it in!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I doubt it would be an official petition. I think those have to be on special forms and then gone over for repeat names, inaccuracies, etc. But it would be fun to annoy the judge/legislature with those little cards.

But, BC... I haven't read that comic in like 20 years. Anti-evolution? Wow. Do you have links? I am anti-creation. I'm not anti-religion, though. I don't think that religion and evolution are comparable topics. People get way to tied up in the proving or disproving of the ideas when actually, religion isn't supposed to be tested and proven like a scientific idea is. ANYWAY... would love to see those comics.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by nerickson

But, BC... I haven't read that comic in like 20 years. Anti-evolution? Wow. Do you have links? I am anti-creation.

Sorry, I could only find about a months worth of BC strips, but google for BC and evolution and you'll find some fundie sites that priase Hart for his crusade. It's particularly ironic, because he features a bird and a snake (two stellar examples of evolution) in his strip. Three if you include the generically pre-human "Grog." That and, of course, having humans and dinos alive at the same time, frequent references to Jesus even though its Before Christ (or whatever the correct latin is), and an all white cast.

Funny stuff indeed. I don't read it regularly myself, but friends will point out the anti-science ones to me when the come up.

Quote:

I'm not anti-religion, though. I don't think that religion and evolution are comparable topics. People get way to tied up in the proving or disproving of the ideas when actually, religion isn't supposed to be tested and proven like a scientific idea is.

I agree, IMO religion can provide really great answers for anything that doesn't require evidence or testing or critical evaluation. I beg to differ on one point, however, proof is for math, not science. Science can only support or deny a given theory. Some believe we can prove something false, but then people argue that you can do inverse proofs via double negatives and get proof of a positive. I don't think that flies.

P.S. Beware, this thread is liable to turn into an evolution/creation debate thread. I wasn't trolling for one, so hopefully it won't. I only really meant to point out how the supposedly liberal media often let's right wing rhetoric sail by. Oh jeez, I don't really even want to get into that crap now, too tired... going... to ... sleep.....
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I agree on your point about science and math....

yes, I have seen many threads turn into WWIII over the evolution thing.

I will explore BC on my own..

Thanks