- Oled Screen

- Holographic Memory

- Blue-ray DVD burner

- Built-in iSight camera

- 3/4 inch thick powerbook

- Surface color that can be changed through the OS

(Polychromatic Skin)

Fuel cell definately...

The other stuff is neat too.But fuel cell technology would have a huge impact on moblie computing
  • Reply 2 of 20
    YES- Fuel Cell

YES - Oled Screen

BWAH? - Holographic Memory

YES - Blue-ray DVD burner-

YES, BUT MAY BE UGLY...- Built-in iSight camera

YEAH, BUT THERE IS NO REAL NEED... - 3/4 inch thick powerbook

Yet, with the Built-in iSight camera, i think it will be ugly, just because right now I cannot envision a little camera being on the screen, i think it will just ugly it up, and it might use up motherboard bandwidth too often...buy, what do i know? very little, that is why I am here!

• Reply 3 of 20
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    From what I remember about holigraphic memory:

It was a small cube-shaped crystal that used lasers to

read & write the data. The other thing about it was

that the data storage was rediculously large,

(about a terabyte on a small 1x1 inch cube). Also data

could be read off of it 1000 times faster than current

systems.

I wish I had a link to the article but this was something

I read a couple of years ago. (It may have been in an

old Popular Science issue.)
  • Reply 4 of 20
    How about this?!

http://www.nature.com/nsu/030922/030922-10.html

At one point I know Apple was in discussion with groups about being the first computer maker to work with "paper" displays, but who knows where they are at now.

If Apple could bring this to the PB's or a Tablet, first and best, then they might have another killer device. I would hope that the unix/QE cool display drivers that Apple has invested the OS with, can take advantage of this in an elegant manner and maybe BEFORE Longhorn get it.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    holographic memory.

cool.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Also:

*Backlit keyboard + ambient light screen brightness on 12"

*Built-in DSL/Cable modem

*Gigabit 12"

*Perhaps an optional optical trackball instead of trackpad

*Built-in Compact Flash/MMC OR included USB mem key.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    oleds and mram are the future.... the near future is gonna be smaller things, like better bluetooth, new airport... useful things like that... notebooks will never replace desktops, at least in the next 10 years...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    dont know what it's called but it's supposdly durable material made from a a company who use to make golf clubs and know they license the stuff .

anyone have a link
  • Reply 9 of 20
    that electronic paper thing looks amazing. Hopefully the consumer world will see that soon. Hopefully it's done by Apple. Imagine the possibility of an Apple or Barnes & Noble iBooks online store. Wow.

Something I would like to see Apple implement before anyone else (of course) is the "Millipede" storage device being created by IBM.

A terabyte of memory filling merely the space of one inch. Multiple terabyte hard drives the size of current hard drives would completely be possible.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robby

dont know what it's called but it's supposdly durable material made from a a company who use to make golf clubs and know they license the stuff .

anyone have a link

its liquid metal your thinking of.

cheers
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Well, the built in camera is hardly future tech.

The Sony TR-1 has it in a tiny form factor, as can be seen at:

www.dynamism.com
  • Reply 12 of 20
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Does anyone have any more info about the Millipede Storage

system?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

system?

It's an idea that's certainly got legs anyway.....

*puts hat & coat on and leaves in shame*
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

system?

MacAddict did a short article about it in their November 2002 issue. The millipede system works like the old analog memory systems (holes in cardboard) except that the Millipede system is really really small. It's made up of a really thin plastic film and a needle made of silicon that is 2 nanometers at it's tip. It can punch 1 trillion bits (1 terabyte) into 1 square inch.

Memory is erased by holes getting designated for erasure and then when new bytes come in they're punched (which is really melting with a 400 centigrade tip) into the area between the designated holes to be erased, pushing the plastic film back to where it was before.

The major hang up with the Millipede is manufacturing it reliably and cheaply. To quote Mac Addict "the smart money says the year 2005."
  • Reply 15 of 20
    geddoegeddoe Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DefJef

It can punch 1 trillion bits (1 terabyte) into 1 square inch.

Minor nitpicking. 1 trillion bits would be 125Gigabyes. Still quite a bit and still impressive
  • Reply 16 of 20
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    An ultralight iBook would fill a niche. Something under 3 pounds. For quite a while now the Japanese makers have been advertising 999gram (about 2.2 lb.) subnotebooks. These are not your main system. These are just enough to carry with you when you walk away from your main computer (even if that is a 17 inch PB). It is just enough to do email and web surfing and to connect to a projector and give a presentation.

I'm not sure how well they'd sell here. I think they would be very popular in Asia (especially Japan) and perhaps Europe. The more you walk and use public transportation the more you value something that is small and light.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    check this out...

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/.../vettiger.html

millipede macht ca 400-500 gb pro square inch....

dabei wird aber erst 2005 mit einem "trustworthy" prototyp gerechnet.

die löschhitze killt manchmal benachbarte bits - und wenn man neue daten rein schreibt - dann geht das am schnellsten sektorweise...

sowie auch das löschen...allerdings gehen dabei dann unweigerlich daten verloren - die umgelagert werden müsste...

insgesamt gibt es viel zu tun - aber die sache ist in dem stadium wo die realisation - die baldige - sichere sache ist.

gute info auch im spektrum der wissenschaft - 9/03

ansonsten geht der trend im storage forschungsbereich derzeit aber ins molekulare.

millipede ist schön - weil dicht gepackt - die ausführung über "nadeln an ärmchen" ist aber materialvergeudend....

viel mehr geht - wenn man die moleküle - bzw.atome alle direkt beschreibt!

der ansatz holographischer ram ist hier erfolgversprechend.

damit ist dann aber leider vor 2010 nicht im "mediamarkt in deiner nähe" zu rechnen.

aber darum ist die vorfreude umso größer...denn dann machen wir keinen sprung um einen faktor 1000 sondern einen sprung um den faktor 1 million...

wir kommen dann von tera auf peta - byte.

würde sagen - ein ipod mit video schirm - holographisch in den raum projiziert natürlich - mit einigen petabyte harddisk - pardon - hard "molecular storage device" - würde dann gestatten, alle meine jemals gehörte musik und angesehen filme inklusive aller dokumente und programme die ich besitze - in der hosentasche rumzutragen...

tirili....

schöne neue digitale welt!

mfg

warpspeedster.de
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Geddoe

Minor nitpicking. 1 trillion bits would be 125Gigabyes. Still quite a bit and still impressive

yeah. Blame the 1 trillion bits =1 terabyte thing on Mac Addisct. I thought that was wrong but I decided to trust Mac Addict, and they were wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

An ultralight iBook would fill a niche. Something under 3 pounds. For quite a while now the Japanese makers have been advertising 999gram (about 2.2 lb.) subnotebooks. These are not your main system. These are just enough to carry with you when you walk away from your main computer (even if that is a 17 inch PB). It is just enough to do email and web surfing and to connect to a projector and give a presentation.

I'm not sure how well they'd sell here. I think they would be very popular in Asia (especially Japan) and perhaps Europe. The more you walk and use public transportation the more you value something that is small and light.

The 2.5 pound Vaio's sell out regularly, but that's mostly in Japan. Looking at some of the new ones that Sony is shipping...they look like small iBooks with funcky cursor controls. I think the US market will grow for those, just like we Americans learned to like small sports cars, Toyota's, espresso and pocket sandwiches.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I SOOO WANT A TABLET iBOOK!!!