bridge college network w/airport extreme?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ive recently purchased an al 15 powerbook, and found the airport reception is not as good as my ibooks. i go to a college with a complete wireless network, covering the entire campus, but since i now live off campus(across the street) i am unable to access the network using my al powerbook, although the ibook works fine. my question is

is it possible to use an airport extreme basestation as a means to bridge my schools signal (that my ibook has no problem receiving) throught my apartment? this would enable me to use the powerbook. there is no password on the network but my school uses non-apple access points

this would be similar to someone trying to bridge a public wireless network

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You could also run an ethernet cable from the iBook to the Powerbook for free. Otherwise any 802.11g router should work, but now having used one I can't be sure. There is also the "Wireless access point" which is different than the wireless router.

However, I know for a fact that some people I worked with this summer ran a linksys wireless access point to take in Princeton University wireless in one end and then ran it out the other end in the form of regular ethernet, which went into a server that performed as the gateway.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    thanks. yeah right now i just enable web sharing on the ibook and hook the powerbook up to the internet via the buit in ethernet. but thats kid of a waste of a computer just to sit there to pick up the wireless signal. i wasnt sure if it was possible to use a wireless router like an airport extreme base station in the same way, or even to bounce the signal further and not have to hook up using cables
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Actually, I read an article which at the time mentioned that the Airport Base station (not sure if it was extreme or not) was one of the few that could relay a wireless signal, without actually having the ethernet connected to the lan.

Searching for linkage... Done!

Might be a bit of a boring read, but I think this has the info you are looking for.