Double clickable sound in Mac OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In Mac OS 9 you could double click on a sound file to play it. Can you do that in Mac OS X? If you double click on a sound file to play it in Mac OS X, what format do the sound files have to be in? If you cannot double click on a sound file to play it, is there a program that you can drag a sound file onto that will play it instantaneously?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    There probably is. What I do though, when I'm dealing with sound files, and I don't want to feed them in a full blown audio app (say itunes), is opening the folder they're in in the Finder using the infamous (?) column view (supposing you have the option 'show preview column' enabled, which is the default). Selecting a sound file will then bring up a quicktime-style play bar in a column to the right where you can effectively play all of the sound file. The kicker is that this works with all sound (and movie) formats quicktime understands, and those are more than a few. I love that feature. The old-skool sound files you mention actually don't bring up a quicktime style player bar, but rather a single button, saying 'play sound'. All as one would expect it, probably.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

What I do though, when I'm dealing with sound files, and I don't want to feed them in a full blown audio app (say itunes), is opening the folder they're in in the Finder using the infamous (?) column view (supposing you have the option 'show preview column' enabled, which is the default).

Thank you for the reply. I do know about the column view. I am hoping to avoid the extra step of having to press a button, in this case the "Play Sound" button, to play the sound file.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Maybe you could give this app this application a try. It claims to do what you want. I don't know how well it works though (but it was last updated in May of this year, which is not a bad indication).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Maybe you could give this application a try.

I had seen SystemSound Extension before, however, I was a little leary of it. I revisited SystemSound Extension thanks to your post and it works great. It is just what I was looking for.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Quote:

In Mac OS 9 you could double click on a sound file to play it.

and:

Quote:

I am hoping to avoid the extra step of having to press a button, in this case the "Play Sound" button, to play the sound file.

I don't understand???

In column view, it is ONE CLICK to play sound.

You want to DOUBLE click to avoid an extra step?

Sorry if I missed something.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Th0r

and:

I don't understand???

In column view, it is ONE CLICK to play sound.

You want to DOUBLE click to avoid an extra step?

Sorry if I missed something.

By extra step I meant that you first had to click on the sound you wanted to play, and then navigate to the "Play Sound" button. Anyway, all is solved now with SystemSound Extension.