iMac Replacement Speaker Options

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've recently got an iMac, but I'm finding that the supplied Apple Pro speakers are a bit short on bass . Are the Creatures any good? And are there any 5.1 options available for the iMac? For example, I'm sure I've read somewhere that there are Mac compatible USB based solutions, anyone seen or heard one?

Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I've heard raving reviews about the iSub. They work with your Apple Pro Speakers, reducing the base sent there and improving the overall sound significantly

I have my computer hooked up to my stereo system, so I don't have one, but I'm sure may people here will testify to their effectiveness.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    yeah, iSub is great. A friend of mine got the soundsticks iSub package(which I actually hear is sub par to just the stand alone iSub) but they were LOUD, crisp and he had all the range he needed. Great computer speakers, but it was the sub woofer that really brought everything together.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I've got an iSub hooked up to my Cube, great sound. I'm using the original pro speekers that came with the cube, the iSub is good enough that having small speekers isn't a problem. The pro speekers have great sound, but your right they are short on bass. Go for the iSub.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I've got an iSub hooked up to my Cube, great sound. I'm using the original pro speekers that came with the cube, the iSub is good enough that having small speekers isn't a problem. The pro speekers have great sound, but your right they are short on bass. Go for the iSub.

I've heard very good things about Logitech's 4.1 speaker system and it costs the same as the Soundsticks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    The iSub is a fine addition. My only complaint is that the mute button on your keyboard doesn't work for the iSub - so you mute the song and the bass keeps thumping out of the iSub. I don't know why Apple hasn't fixed this given all of the time they've had.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by gobble gobble

The iSub is a fine addition. My only complaint is that the mute button on your keyboard doesn't work for the iSub - so you mute the song and the bass keeps thumping out of the iSub. I don't know why Apple hasn't fixed this given all of the time they've had.

That's pretty silly, but it's also kind of cool.8)

of course, I could see that being annoying since the bass is often the most obtrusive and hard to ignore sound, and if someone is trying to talk to you and you hit the mute button....yeah...that could be a pain.