My G5 experience at an Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was at the Tyson's Corner Apple Store and I basically went around to test how fast thigs open/work on the new G5, the G4 iMac, and the G3 iBook. First of all, the G3 iBook is slow as crap. When I compared the G4 iMac to the G5, the G5 was a lot faster and the speed difference was very noticable. I can't wait till this thing goes down in price and enters Powerbooks and iMacs!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    So tell us something new.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

So tell us something new.

Reminds me of "My cat's breath smells like cat food."

Anyway, I'm waiting until Panther comes out and is running on G5s before I play with them in the store.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Reminds me of "My cat's breath smells like cat food."

Anyway, I'm waiting until Panther comes out and is running on G5s before I play with them in the store.

Why? Is Panther supposed to make it even faster?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

I was at the Tyson's Corner Apple Store and I basically went around to test how fast thigs open/work on the new G5, the G4 iMac, and the G3 iBook. First of all, the G3 iBook is slow as crap. When I compared the G4 iMac to the G5, the G5 was a lot faster and the speed difference was very noticable. I can't wait till this thing goes down in price and enters Powerbooks and iMacs!

Hey! I have an iBook 800 and I used to have an 266Mhz G3 Desktop Powermac. Using Jaguar the iBook is a lot faster. But to be honest, I don't think OS X is as fast as it should\
  • Reply 5 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

My experience with Panther (even on a G3) is that the speed is dramatically increased, no prebinding bug (no beachball at every app launch for 30 seconds). This time at least, the upgrade will be well worth it. Put it this way, I'd pay $300 for it

I just don't want Jaguar to interfere with my G5 lust. So when I do get to the point where I can start thinking of a G5 I want it to have Panther installed. I don't care if Jaguar's bugs run faster on a G5.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

And the online community responds with a resounding YES! followed immediately by a heavy sigh.

Since long before the G5 was announced, Apple was working on 10.2.7 (code name Smeagol) which was clearly marked as a special release for the G5. It was also clearly marked that this build would be a very stop-gap "quick fix" system for the G5, a build that would just get Mac OS X 10.2 to *run* on the new machines. It's not optimized for the G5 in any sense of the word.

It was said then that Panther would be built with the updated compilers with new optimization flags set for the G5 and that Panther would provide significant improvements over Smeagol. Add on top of that the more general, across-the-board optimizations that affect all systems and you've got yourself one hell of an improvement.

This sparked a lot of debates that Apple would either ship Panther early, ship the G5s late, or include with the new G5s a coupon for users to get a free or heavily discounted copy of Panther whenever it's released.