56k Modem Causes Mirror Door to Freeze

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well, ladies and gentlemen, this is my first posting and I wish it could be on better terms. I am having issues with the modem in my dual 1ghz Mirror Door. When I click the 'phone' icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen to open the modem pull down menu and select 'connect' the computer starts to scroll 'dialing'. The problem is that now, on an increasingly regular basis, before 'dialing' can scroll more than two times the whole computer freezes solid. The only thing I have that I can do to get it running again is to hold the power button until the mac shuts down and then restart. It appears that it happens after a brief pause in the scrolling of 'dialing'. Usually the pause occurs, then the scrolling continues until 'connecting' starts to scroll then I am good to go. I have called Applecare and they had me trash my internet connect preference list. That hasn't helped. Diskwarrior hasn't helped either. Changing the modem from V.90 to V. 92 helped once the connection is made (i.e. the connection is more stable) but hasn't helped with this issue. My mac runs continuously, so the maintenance scripts are getting run and permissions are repaired regualrly via maintenance that I impose. My service provider is a local university, to whom I remotely connect via servers in my town. They suggested that it could be line noise and there may not be much I can do about it. That doesn't help me, and I need this connection as I depend heavily on email and internet research yet cannot afford broadband. I could REALLY use some help here, as I have been using macs for only a year now (yes, yet another 'switcher') and have yet to build a large enough network of friends that can help trouble shoot issues. Does anyone out there have a solution, or potential solution?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Need some more details. Make of modem and driver versions ?

OS version ? ( gather its some version of 10.x)

Please...

Please...

Use the return key once or twice when typing a long post!

• Reply 2 of 5
    The OS is 10.2.6. As for the modem make and driver, I am not sure. Does this vary much from computer to computer or does Apple stick with certain makes (FYI it is a Mirror Door G4 purchased in October of 2002)? I will check the make when I get home, I guess by simply opening the case up and looking. However, I am not sure how to check the driver information. How does one do this?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the seemingly never ending paragraph that is my previous post. A momentary lapse in editing.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I looked for the make/model of the modem, but it is blocked by a massive heatsink. I also looked through the documents that were sent with the computer but it is listed only as a 56k internal modem. I am still not sure how to determine the driver being used. I guess I am not much help here.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tombtomb Posts: 29member
    Hello Amaizen,

Sorry I can't help, but I'm having the exact same trouble with a Feb'03 FW800 MDD Dual 1.25 G4. This machine came with 10.2.3 and has had the OS reinstalled numerous times, currently at 10.2.8 (the NEW one!). It doesn't happen often, but it STILL happens. It just happened again today, the exact same symptoms, resulting in a TOTAL OS freeze, 'The Worlds Most Advanced Operating System' freezes while connecting via the Built-in V.92 modem. Good grief......

I first assumed it was a Software problem, Apple was having modem problems around 10.2.3-5, but now I'm at 10.2.8 and it's the SAME thing. This is getting old. I've been looking around to see if anyone else has this trouble, not too many others are reporting it if they are. Anyone else? I'm convinced it's something a little more serious than a version bug, not sure what can be done. I think I'll post over at Apple and see what happens.

Tom
  • Reply 5 of 5
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    I can suggest three things you people can do about this issue.

First is to open your mac and hit the P-Ram button to rest the mac (need to put in the right time again as it goes back to 1970 after booting)

Second you could reinstall the OS...which can be a pain if you have alot of settings and such but backing all that data should help. I don't recommend reinstalling the OS over what you have now...a clean install makes sure you have the best OS and should stop those crashes.

The 3rd is to call a apple store and tell them about it and see if they can replace the modem for you as this isn't a widely knowing issue with these macs.

I have a Dual 867Mhz G4 and while it doesn't hold a internet connection as well as i would like it hasn't frozen on me while trying to use it's menu or dialing in.

Hope i have been some help to you dial up users as i know how frustrating it can be.

Frank_t