Got an indigo CD-RW iMac today...help out please? (updated)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
They got it for me where I teach. It's pretty cool....at least I don't have to lug in the Pismo every single day now. 500mhz is feeling a little sluggish though.

BTW, what is the best way to transfer files? Can I do it via an ethernet cable? The 'book has no removable writable storage so.....

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    If you have an Ethernet crossover cable then you can do it over Ethernet.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Firewire target disk mode!

• Reply 3 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matvei:

<strong>Firewire target disk mode!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I forgot about that.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    You have two options:

1) ethernet filesharing

2) FireWire target disk mode

1)

Either buy an Ethernet cross-over cable and file share with the iMac or plug the PowerBook into the network and file share with the iMac. This is a slow process if you have many GB of data to transfer.

2)

If you tons of GBs to transfer, this is the preferred mode. Buy a FireWire 6-6 cable. Turn off the PowerBook and plug the FireWire cable into it and the iMac. Boot the PowerBook BUT hold down the 'T' key until you see the FireWire icon after a few seconds. The PowerBook OS will not load. If you look on your iMac desktop, you will now see a new hard drive -- that's your PowerBook now acting as an external hard drive. Just drag and drop to copy the contents onto the iMac.

• Reply 5 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    What kind of firewire cable do I need? Can I just use a standard double male end ethernet cable? I tried that...but I didn't reboot...do I need to?....thanks

I assume 6-6 is just a double male end firewire connector?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

<strong>What kind of firewire cable do I need? Can I just use a standard double male end ethernet cable? I tried that...but I didn't reboot...do I need to?....thanks

I assume 6-6 is just a double male end firewire connector?</strong><hr></blockquote>

For ethernet, you need a crossover cable. This looks identical to a normal cable but is used to connect two computers, as opposed to put them on a network.

The 6 in the firewire thing referrs to the # of pins, I think.

• Reply 7 of 11
    OK. I picked up a crossover today after searching in vein for the 6-6 firewire. Think I'll order one anyway, though.

Anything special I need to know about doing it over ethernet crossover? I assume I use file sharing? I wish the iMac had a freakin IR port.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    OK, stupid as it sounds I'm still at a loss. I can't seem to get the iMac to recognize the PB over crossover ethernet......how do I do it????

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 11
    *Make sure that AppleTalk is set to ethernet (in the AppleTalk control panel) on both machines

*Make sure that file sharing is activated on both machines (either from the control strip or File Sharing control panel)

*Make sure that you as a user are established in File Sharing (either in the target or both machines)

That's all I can think of.

edit: typo

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: scottiB ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by scottiB:

<strong>*Make sure that AppleTalk is set to ethernet (in the AppleTalk control panel) on both machines

*Make sure that file sharing is activated on both machines (either from the control strip or File Sharing control panel)

*Make sure that you as a user are established in File Sharing (either in the target or both machines)

That's all I can think of.

edit: typo

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: scottiB ]</strong>[/QUO\\TE]

Well I got it working. But only for awhile. I'll keep trying.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    You should really try FireWire Target Disk Mode. I use it all the time to transfer files between my iBook and iMac. It's very fast and requires nothing but a cable and a restart.