Will iMacs ever come in multiple colors?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What I really want to see is a chrome/silver iMac to match the Powermacs and the Powerbooks. Is Apple ever going to do it to boost sales? Does anyone see this ever happening?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Not in the forseeable future. iMacs are white because they are consumer based, while the aluminum products are for the professional base.

It provides instantly recognizable visual distinction between the two classes. And I just don't see the iMac ever being consider a "Pro machine" by Jobs...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What rageous said.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Not in the forseeable future. iMacs are white because they are consumer based, while the aluminum products are for the professional base.

It provides instantly recognizable visual distinction between the two classes. And I just don't see the iMac ever being consider a "Pro machine" by Jobs...

Well, I wouldn't really call a $1799 machine "consumer based". I think the iMac is more in between the pro machines and the consumer ones. Maybe it should be a whole new color.

The eMac/iBooks are white, the Powerbooks/Powermacs are silver and the iMac could be a navy blue, or something interesting and eye-catching. Apple needs to do something with the iMac. It get's upgraded too slowly and sales arn't as high as most of their other products.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    The most recent line just stopped being multicolored. So why change back?

Of course, they certainly could one day. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

One thing I wouold like to see (though I consider it unlikely) is a range of colored iBooks. People are more and more choosing computers according to style and OS rather than specs; I think such iBooks would sell well, especially if they were in some of today's fashionably muted tones.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    "Topic: Will iMacs ever come in multiple colors?"

Yes, in 1998, you DINOSAUR!!!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Paint it yourself.

Black iMac Mod
  • Reply 7 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Given that the side of the machine facing the user should be (largely) white, or at least neutral, and given that Apple has hewed to that convention consistently, what part of the current iMac would you color? The original iMac had that great big dome created by the CRT, and conveniently out of sight of the person sitting at the machine. The current iMac is so efficiently packaged that there's no place to put such an accent.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    resres Posts: 711member
    I don't think that Apple will ever have the colors of the Pro and Consumer lines match, but hopefully Apple will change the iMac's and ibook's colors sometime in the not to distant future. (I have never been a fan of the white colored computers, they have a cheesy 70s science fiction movie look to them.)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I don't think that changing the iMac's colour is a realistic option for Apple. They like differentiating the pro and consumer lines through appearance, and back in 1999 they had problems getting certain retailers to stock the iMacs when they came in different colours (though this was helped when the colour range was narrowed down).

If they did add colour to the mix, what I think they'd do is this: they would make a very simple colour range (red and blue is a good example) and give it a slightly metallic tinge. It would make sure that retailers would be willing to carry all the models, and the colours would still be "respectable" (i.e. no lime or grape models that have a hard time getting sold).