OS X 10.1 won't boot on ibook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi ther folks. Does anyone know why I can't start up my 800 CD (2003)ibook with my old Mac OS X 10.1? I can´t either startup from a Mac OS 9.1 CD, The thing is I have an external firewire CD burner and with Mac OS X I could burn directly from DiskCopy .dmg files.

I also tried cmd+T (Target disk mode). I believe it's not possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Really more of a Genius Bar question. I'm moving this thread there now...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Are you sure these are full version CDs and not just the upgrades? I've noticed some computers can't boot the upgrades.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Are you sure these are full version CDs and not just the upgrades? I've noticed some computers can't boot the upgrades.

The 10.1 is an upgrade but I had no proble with it in my old 266 G3. I also have the 10.0 CD -> some problem
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I mean SAME problem. I believe you are right, I think this is made on purpose, Apple don´t want us to downgrade to 10.0/10.1
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by raimac

I mean SAME problem. I believe you are right, I think this is made on purpose, Apple don´t want us to downgrade to 10.0/10.1

Which brings me to my next question...why would you want to? (Other than the reasons you have, I've never heard of anyone wanting to go back)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Just like they dropped OS 9 on all comptuers. They really don't want you to down grade your OS. Why would you need a older OS? All programs should be compatible with 10.2. Cheers.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Just like they dropped OS 9 on all comptuers. They really don't want you to down grade your OS. Why would you need a older OS? All programs should be compatible with 10.2. Cheers.

My reason is I want to burn a bootable dwg image file, and because I don´t have a built in CD-R drive (mine is a HP 9500 inside an external FW enclosure) I can´t burn in Diskcopy in Jaguar (like I did in 10.1) that's the only reason. I made a bootable image of my hd for disk repearing with disk warrior