Transferring iTunes library to Powerbook

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i just got my powerbook and I want to transfer all of the songs from my iMac to the powerbook. I was wondering if there was a way to transfer all of the songs, and all of the cover art with it. I need to get this done tonight!!! Please help. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

i just got my powerbook and I want to transfer all of the songs from my iMac to the powerbook. I was wondering if there was a way to transfer all of the songs, and all of the cover art with it. I need to get this done tonight!!! Please help. Thanks

Presuming you know how to move files from one computer to the other in general, just copy your iTunes Music folder from one computer to the other and you're pretty much set. The cover art is bound into the song files, so the art goes where the music goes automatically.

Quit iTunes on both computers before doing this, and don't start iTunes up again until the copying is over.

When you start iTunes on the new computer, just go into the iTunes Preferences and make sure you're pointing iTunes to the copied music folder. If this is the first time you've run iTunes on the new computer, it will give you the option of automatically finding all of your music for you.

The only problem I've seen with the music auto-find feature is that it sucks in every bit of music it can find, not just your iTunes stuff, but things like sample music files that come with Roxio's Toast... anything it can find on your drive that looks like music, and makes it part of your music library.

If you're feeling particular geekish, you can also copy your iTunes pref files (com.apple.iTunes.*) from ~/Library/Preferences on one computer to the other.