Best "new" used car buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New job, buh-by academe, only now I'm forced to spend some money as I can't be seen in my miserable POS car. However, as you can surmise from my posts, I'm also way too cheap to drop new car money on a respectable vehicle.

Basically, I need to go to meetings and chauffeur people around the city from time to time. I'm looking at 3 year old returning leasers. From my experience, I'd get a GM 3800 V6 equipped car for pure reliability. However, the only really acceptable vehicles in that category are a LeSabre/Park Avenue. Slightly geriatric, but comfortable and just about the right tenor for the people I have work with.

An intriguing option here is 3/4 year old Aurora sedans, the prices are decent, space is good, image is right for the task, any experience out there with these?

Next up, I'm thinking about the Passat (wagon or sedan). The first of the revised body style (same roof/glass as the first sub-Audi Passat, but better panels all around) I hear conflicting things about reliability and repair/parts costs. Finding a AWD wagon probably wouldn't be cheap but just might be worth it.

HATE SUVs, ambivalent about minivans.

Any other models to consider?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    You'll never find a used Passat

Get a Suburu Forrester . . . (I just got one) they are very nice . . . they are classified as SUVs but they really are just small cars with a Tall chasis

The Outback is actually bigger and if you can gat an LE you will het luxory features and 4x4 and toyota like dependapility
  • Reply 2 of 20
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    My wifes Honda Accord has over 140,000 miles on it and has never had an engine repair of any kind. We choose to replace the timing chain because a couple of Honda affectionado's told us that if they go, the engine goes as well. We placed it at 100,000 miles.

We had thought of selling it, but it just runs so nicely. The 4 cyl engine they put in Honda's in the most nicely balanced engine I have ever felt.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There is a supply of slightly older (3 yrs old) Camrys out there. Also nice cars. I do, however, have a headroom problem in some of them. Used Passats are harder to find, yes, but not impossible. I've found a couple, it's finding the right price that seems to be a little harder.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    The Aurora's don't actually run 3800's. They have a 3.5L and a 4.0L model. Both are DOHC engines. interestingly, the DOHC 3.5 gets worse highway mileage than the 3800.

There's also the Olds Intrigue, which is a good car. Get the model with the 3.5L though, since the version with the 3800 has some weird transmission hiccups in the intrigue. I'd also recommend against the buicks because they are too soft. i.e. when you're on the highway in overdrive, the power isn't there when you need to change lanes.

The Olds Intrigue and the Pontiac Grand Prix are very similar though, with the Intrigue being somewhat better overall. (Mostly because of the engine and the options. The Grand Prix does, though, come in a GTP version that has a blown 3800 (4psi supercharger), but that chews away mileage).

Being the president of a construction company my dad has owned, indirectly or directly, every mid-priced, mid-sized american car built in the last 15 years. The Fords are crap. The GM's are rock solid. His favorite so far was the Intrigue 3.5. Currently he has an Aurora, and is particularly annoyed that GM dissolved Oldsmobile.

And I have to agree. The Intrigue has a smooth but attached ride, good power, a good back seat, and good cargo space. In my opinion it's a better package than a Mercedes E320. It's also worthy of note that the Intrigue 3.5 gets better mileage than the Passat V6, all the while making better power and torque.

Quote:

We had thought of selling it, but it just runs so nicely. The 4 cyl engine they put in Honda's in the most nicely balanced engine I have ever felt.

Aside from the fact that the torque and power curves are respectable at nothing less than 6000rpm, you have a point. Honda makes a good 4cyl, but seriously, GM's are such awesome daily drivers. There's nothing that can compete on a price-performance basis.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Yeah, I know the Aurora's have either 3.5L V6 or 4L V8 engines, I just thought to throw them in -- they were never that popular here, but there are a few good used deals. Forgot to mention the Intrigue.

Two other possibilities that fit the MO might be the Chrysler 300M or a 3-5 year old Caddy.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I just had a thought as I scan the auto traders: Volvo and Saab seem to take a big enough hit on depreciation to make a couple of ther used models a viable choice.

Any experience with these? All of the newer Volvos I've sat in, from the 850/v70 and up seemed to me to be a little too short on headroom given the class of car. I spotted a couple of deals on the s80, I think I might have to check them out.

Saab is interesting because I can live with the outgoing 9-3 in terms of headroom, and so the 4 door Saab would probably give me enough room without the need to move up the pricier 9-5 (always speaking about used deals, mind you)
  • Reply 7 of 20
    BMW BMW BMW!!!!!!! You can get a certified pre-owned 3 series cheap and have a factory warranty to 100K!!! If not go for the Passat.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    The 3 series models that would probably fall into the my acceptable price range are just too cramped. Mebbe a slightly older 5, but that again takes me out of my comfort zone. A 2-4 year old car has depreciated enough (depending on make/model) has likely only had one owner, and is new enough that I don't have to think about any costlier repairs for a good long time. But if it gets too pricey, then I might just be better off buying a new car that at least comes with a longer warrantee (something more important than a badge)
  • Reply 9 of 20
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well I'd recommend a Nissan Maxima GLE. 17-inch wheels, wood trim, leather, 200 Watt Bose System, it is a sweet ride. Other cars to look at would be the BMW 3 series, and I have to agree a caddy would be nice.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    As a highway machine, I would suggest the Ford Taurus. Great handling (much better than any GM), comfortable seats, great ride, lots of space, fairly good reliability (average reliability - which means above-average compared with other American cars) according to the last Consumer Reports I saw, good mileage on the highway (although it is too heavy to have great mileage in the city) and can be had at a price that makes it a great bargain used.

I hate, hate, hate the handling and ride on GMs and loathe their seats. On the other hand, GM engines do tend to be a bit more refined than Ford's and Ford still can't seem to get their transmissions just right.

Still, on balance, the Taurus would be a good choice.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Taurus, you say? Perhaps I'll head over to Pinkley and check one out.

I sat in a Chrysler 300M today. Nice car, but what the fvck? The way they cut the roof, I have to crank my head over 90 degrees from perpendicular to get in. Stupid. Sapce, once inside, is adequate, but not in sunroof cars. Stupid, especially for such a rather large car.

Also sat in the old 9-3 body Saab. Excellent. Great headroom, especially for a relatively small car. Pity that more car designs can't understand the value of headroom in a vehicle. Saab itself seems unable to understand it's own design strengths -- the new 9-3 body seems to have a lower roof-line, at least from a quick external look.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    screw used.

get an RX-8. room for four, we swear!

• Reply 13 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

My wifes Honda Accord has over 140,000 miles on it and has never had an engine repair of any kind. We choose to replace the timing chain because a couple of Honda affectionado's told us that if they go, the engine goes as well. We placed it at 100,000 miles.

I think that's more myth that real world happenings. They do go at 100k though, you can set your watch to it. Mine when at 112k.

How much did it cost you?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I think that's more myth that real world happenings. They do go at 100k though, you can set your watch to it. Mine when at 112k.

How much did it cost you?

I don't recall. I'll have to ask the wife if she does. It was over 3 years ago.

Nick
  • Reply 15 of 20
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i think the problem is the timing belt runs EVERYTHING on the car. so if it breaks, you're screwed in the middle of lord knows where.

if it's cracked, it's a good idea to repalce it, just to be on the safe side. 100k miles is a good time to do it.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    On the Ford front, we haven't had luck with Tauruses. They have a cheap fell to them that turns into stuff breaking after 60k miles. Chryslers are the same way in general. The ride on a GM is very soft, and is somewhat unappealing to most, but we've had great luck with them when it comes to reliability, and they tend to get thrashed around quite a bit, driving on dirt and gravel in and out of job sites.

The Rx-8 is cool, but if Matsu is so big that a 300M feels tight. . . .

Personally, I'm trying to decide what to do. It looks as though

(A) I'll have a nice job come June

(B) Royalties from my design work are starting to come in steady

I may take my Rx-7 off of insurance and start working on it while I buy a more practical car. So that leads to practical and "practical." Practical would be something like a cheap, small pickup. "Practical" would be that Audi S2 that's "for sale."
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Well, the 300M isn't really cramped once you're in, it's just the contortion of getting in and out that fvcks me up.

I was 0 for 4 at the subaru dealer too. All were tight and if I did fit, they put my head very close to the roof rail, enough to ring it, hard, in even a slight side-on impact. Not good.

Funny. New Forrester, no go, bad fit. Old Forrester, better fit, roof rail further from head. Blame piched roof (when viewed head on) psuedo aero styling phenomenon.

So, short list of cars I fit into neatly:

Buick LeSabre (old man's car)

Buick Park Avenue (old man with style)

Saab 9-3 (previous body)

Saab 9-5

Porsche 993 (impractical even if I could afford it).

VW Passat/Wagon

VW Golf

Mini Cooper (fun for me, but new and expensive, and where to put the extra people?)

Cars to try:

Volvo S80

new 9-3

Intrigue

Aurora (old and current body)

Lincoln LS

"SUVs" that I can accept based on my difficulty in finding a good fit:

Saturn Vue (will accept it on the grounds of not being a true SUV)

CRV (ditto)

RAV4 (ditto again, but all of these last 3 are rather gay, and, frankly, along with the other changes I've had to make to get this job, I'm not sure I'm up to it -- complete aesthetic overhaul, ie; Waxed brows, extremely gay; short messy cut, sickeningly trendy, new wardrobe additions that do not involve leather and boots, fashionable but depressingly boring. It's enough to make me buy a black two-door Yukon and take up cigar smoking just to remind me that I still have hair on my nuts.)
  • Reply 18 of 20
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    For reliability, do not buy american. American cars are built to be leased. I even remember when I was living in detroit that the main rustproofing company changed it's business for this reason.

We bought a used car not too long ago. I wanted a new accord, but I wasn't going to be the principal driver. (I've had an old car in storage for years since I just bike everywhere). We ended up getting a Volvo S70. With Volvos you have to expect some electrical problems, and we've had a couple, but it's all covered. It's a great car other than that.

Hondas are great. I know quite a few people with over 150K on them, and I do mean quite a few. The only problem is that after 10 years the styling looks extremely dated, whereas european cars look great.

Don't buy a BMW used for your primary car. They either are great or have lots of problems.

There's no point in buying a car with issues when you can just get an accord and know it will simply work.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Camry/Accord: Great cars used or new, but YAWN!

American: Never!

VW: Jetta or Passat (get the V6)

Audi: A4
  • Reply 20 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Taurus, you say? Perhaps I'll head over to Pinkley and check one out.

I would definitely recommend it Matsu, though you never really know what a used Pinkley Taurus has been through. Might be wise to just go with a new one.