I'm Confused. What does Applecare Plan really give you?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just bought a new G5 and got the 3 year Applecare Protection Plan, but I'm not exactly sure what the benfits of that are. Does anyone else know more about this? Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Airweasel45

I just bought a new G5 and got the 3 year Applecare Protection Plan, but I'm not exactly sure what the benfits of that are. Does anyone else know more about this? Thanks

Mark

Telephone support for the OS and apps that come with the computer for the duration of the warranty.

On-site technical support for desktop machines, in many areas

Extended warranty to three years, for the computer and an Apple display if purchased at the same time as the computer.

-- Mark
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Great job answering Mark's question, Mark.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

Telephone support for the OS and apps that come with the computer for the duration of the warranty.

On-site technical support for desktop machines, in many areas

Extended warranty to three years, for the computer and an Apple display if purchased at the same time as the computer.

A copy of Micromat's TechTool Pro (which may not be compatible with the G5 just yet)

(sorry, left that one out)

-- Mark
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

A copy of Micromat's TechTool Pro (which may not be compatible with the G5 just yet)

(sorry, left that one out)

That was a welcome surprise when I opened my enrollment kit.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Do they replace stolen items? Do they replace items broken because of user error? It seems like they would only fix problems that happen because of a glitch in the hardware, and normally if that happens it would happen to other people and apple would fix the hardware for free anyways.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Since your mac comes with a standard warranty, can't you just wait till near end of this to buy apple care? or do you have to buy at the time. Sears allows you to buy the warranty up to the end of the standard warranty, so you don't pay twice for the first year. And it can't be extended like a dell warranty. maybe the way to go to save$$$ is buy from apple a refurbished unit then get the warranty. dell allows this
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Besides fixing obvious hardware defects, and giving you techtool, what does AppleCare do?

I want them to fix when [b]I[/b[ break something. Then I will buy it before my free year runs out.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

It seems like they would only fix problems that happen because of a glitch in the hardware, and normally if that happens it would happen to other people and apple would fix the hardware for free anyways.

They'll fix hardware that fails prematurely. That happens to a small percentage of computers that are beyond a certain point.

Really, the reason they are so eager to sell AppleCare is because they make a huge profit on it. It's insurance against future failures that are beyond your control, period.

Even so, with a totally new system like the G5, I'm thinking AppleCare might not be a bad deal just because there are more likely to be problems in the 1 to 3 year timeframe.

Yes, you can buy AppleCare anytime in the warranty period.

-- Mark
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

Since your mac comes with a standard warranty, can't you just wait till near end of this to buy apple care? or do you have to buy at the time. Sears allows you to buy the warranty up to the end of the standard warranty, so you don't pay twice for the first year. And it can't be extended like a dell warranty. maybe the way to go to save$$$ is buy from apple a refurbished unit then get the warranty. dell allows this

I bought my Applecare plan about a week before the 1 year warranty was to run out. The trick with cutting it so close (which I strongly suggest you don't do) is to register your Applecare purchase online after you get the enrollment kit. Saves a lot of time.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jkarc21jkarc21 Posts: 132member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

Waiting until the end doesn't get you more warranty time, you just want to make sure you purchase Applecare and register it prior to the end of your first year.

When you buy the computer you get 1 year free. Buying the extended warranty does just that, it gives you an additional 2 years when your first year runs out. You don't have to "Pay Twice" for anything, if you buy it sooner rather than later.