Panther GM versus Panther Final

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What's the difference between the two? Isn't a GM a final but not readily available? I found a site (I'm not telling which) that claims to have the Panther GM up for download... According to them it's 3 CDs long...... Any comments on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    In the final CD release they remove all the debug code.

Lol.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    There's no difference. The build that is declared GM is sent for duplication and boxed up ready for sale.

J 8)
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

According to them it's 3 CDs long

CD 1: Mac OS X.

CD 2: Additional applications.

CD 3: Developer Tools.

Sounds reasonable to me. m.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    All those torrent sites and I assume it will start spreading through carracho and eventually even users will be able to download it with limewire, acquisition, poisoned etc. I am not sure how you can tell if it's really the GM but I think I might grab it to see if it's the real thing or not. I can only hope it will fvck up my computer and give me what I deserve so I learn a lesson.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

In the final CD release they remove all the debug code.

Lol.

If I were to download the Panther GM would I be able to see the debug code? Or would only the developers be able to?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

If I were to download the Panther GM would I be able to see the debug code? Or would only the developers be able to?

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

lol what? It's a hypothetical questoin.... I'm saying that I DID download it....
  • Reply 8 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    After 800-some posts you'd think you'd have shed the nOOB status. The whole "debug code" is a long-running joke in the Mac community.

I'll make this simple: you could use the System Profiler to determin what build you actually installed, rather than taking the Disk Image's word for it. If it says 7B85, you probably have the same (bit for bit) product Apple will print to the official CDs.

That said, you're a weenie if you use Panther but don't see the righteousness in paying for it.

\
  • Reply 9 of 13
    gpcogpco Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

After 800-some posts you'd think you'd have shed the nOOB status. The whole "debug code" is a long-running joke in the Mac community.

I'll make this simple: you could use the System Profiler to determin what build you actually installed, rather than taking the Disk Image's word for it. If it says 7B85, you probably have the same (bit for bit) product Apple will print to the official CDs.

That said, you're a weenie if you use Panther but don't see the righteousness in paying for it.

\

Good one.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jay1jay1 Posts: 22member
    Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Sounds like its fake why?

its 4 cd's

1:install

2:Apps

3:apps

4:dev tools
  • Reply 11 of 13
    2 app disks, you reall think they are going to include 1.4Gb's of extra software.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jay1jay1 Posts: 22member
    its bloated i know. just the print drivers them self 2 options to chose from for diff printers are over 300 megs,

other languages over 200 megs

just the system is 600 megs

then fonts, itunesmiphoto,imovie,isync,ical etc etc etc.

o ya and gimp print drivers to,

Keep in mine a LOT of stuff has been added to panther. look at 10 was 1 cd and 1 dev , 10.2 2 cde and 1 dev. 10.3 3 cd and 1 develper. also if you ask any adc members 10.3 was allways 3 cd's big and 10.2 was allways 2 cd's big. think about that.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Yes, there's two app/extra stuff-disks. The second is only around 200MB or so.