Why the hell did i see this movie

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sometimes, watching movies are a bad idear. Last evening me and my wife we have seen the TV movie : USS Charleston, last chance for humankind.

This movie was terrible : death, death and death, nothing positive.

Here a short resume : the USS Charleston, a nuclear submariner is the only us ship, and within the only alive americans who survived to a nuclear holocaust. This nuclear holocaust was caused by a nuclar war between US and China after the invasion of Taiwan.

Only Australia is alive, and the Charleston joined here. Unfortunately the winds have changed and radioactive clouds are comings there, and will destroy all the lifes. One scientific thinks that there is a chance of life in the great north due to some weird climatic reasons. The goal of the submariner is to go there, in order to make a sort of exodus to make survive some humans there.

But it was not true, and the mission failed, and the last man alive (the australians) started to die from horrible radioactive intestinal diseases. And thus vanish humanity.

This movie was so terrible that i refused to see the end of it.

The next time, rather than seing this kind of movie, i may be drunk. The wake up will be equally bad, but my mood will be much better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Did it have Amand Assante as the Captain?

If so then it goes under another name - though for the life of me I cant remember it. I am thinking "On The Beach".

Based on a book I believe.

I think futility was the theme....
  • Reply 2 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Did it have Amand Assante as the Captain?

If so then it goes under another name - though for the life of me I cant remember it. I am thinking "On The Beach".

Based on a book I believe.

I think futility was the theme....

Yes you are right Assante was the captain, and was good in this role. For the name i don't know, it was a french version and not the english one.

Do you remember if there was a little place for optimism at the end of the movie, or like i suspect was it totally and irrevocabily dark ?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Wow powerdoc, that sounds like it was awful.

Fellows
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Wow powerdoc, that sounds like it was awful.

Fellows

Yes it was really awful.

If you ever see this movie, avoid it. I don't see the necessety to feel so depressed : i am already against nuclear war. I don't have to recieve a lesson ...
  • Reply 5 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    But we all love you Powerdoc.

Honest.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

But we all love you Powerdoc.

Honest.

Thanks. A good night and life will be better tomorrow
  • Reply 7 of 18
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Thanks. A good night and life will be better tomorrow

Just past noon here and I've already started drinking some red wine to cool your nerves.

• Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Just past noon here and I've already started drinking some red wine to cool your nerves.

Enjoy your wine. I have drink a bit of red wine also. An here it's nearly 9 hours in the evening ( i am always confuse with am and pm).
  • Reply 9 of 18
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Amand Assante...man, that guy can eat more scenery in a movie faster than Luciano Pavarotti_with a plate of lasagna in front of him...

Want to see two good submarine movies?

1. Das Boot

2. Red October

There was another on...late forties/fifties...forgot it...First one I HIGHLY recommend...second one I think EVERYONE's seen...excuse me while I batten down the hatches...
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    No hope, just death at the end.

But they did it with DIGNITY???!!!???
  • Reply 11 of 18
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I like 'Red October' more. Baldwin and Connery together are great.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I'm with you Powerdoc.

I detest nuclear war...but there are a couple of movies that I dig

Mad Max, and road warrior are my two favorite serious fallout movies

Six String Samurai and Dr. strangelove(or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb) are my two favorite comedy movies involving nuclear war.

War games is good too because it isn't depressing but still gets that message out.

also the RPG fallout, and fallout 2 are my two favorite computer RPGs
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

...also the RPG fallout, and fallout 2 are my two favorite computer RPGs

I LOVE FALLOUT!

kick ass game...
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Red october and Da boot, are good movies. I love submarines movies, that's why i have the stupide idear to look this one.

They are a quite a bunch of good movies about the consequences of nuclear war.

War games is one of that. Strangely i never seen Dr Srangelove. The next time he will be on TV, i 'll watch it.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    From what I remember, On the Beach at least had a hopeful ending. A man and woman are the lone survivors and get to start the world over as the new Adam and Eve. Of course my memory of that movie may be faulty. I like happy or at least hopeful endings.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

From what I remember, On the Beach at least had a hopeful ending. A man and woman are the lone survivors and get to start the world over as the new Adam and Eve. Of course my memory of that movie may be faulty. I like happy or at least hopeful endings.

Thanks for this info : i did not have the courage to see the end of this movie.

Like you i like happy or at least hopeful endings. Life is sufficiently terrible, there is no need to add fuel on the fire while seeing movies.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    yep, On the Beach.

one of my favorite books. terrible movie adaptations though, but the book is an amazing feat. Nevil Shute is my hero.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    the title should have been your first clue