Starcraft Teams (Need some Dr. Phil type advice)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey,

Can any of you gamers out there explain to me what the benefits are for a young college-age kid to join a Starcraft "team"? Secondly, what IS a Starcraft team and how do they make money? What if that kid lived in the States, was in his second year of college and was unexpectedly requested to join a Starcraft team after scoring well in a tournament in that team's hometown...which happens to be in South Korea? With no salary, only room & board?

Is there any real career path at the end of that road or should his parents jerk a knot in this kid's ass and make him stay at home? What kind of advice can I pass along?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    That depends what kind of 'team' youre talking about... That could be anything from a clan which is only a name in most cases, to something quite a bit more...

But unless he is REALLY good, and can kick every single person's ass in that game he knows and more, then there's no future in Starcrafting.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Is there any real career path?

Uhhh, let's think about that for a minute.

It's a game. It's a five-year old game. No one I know still plays it. Most players themselves are high school or college kids. Do these kids have money? Where does the money come from? Who in their right mind would sponsor and pay people to play such an old game whose strategies are limited and have been mapped out a thousand times over?

Now what are your thoughts?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Starcraft is crazy (no understatement) popular in S. Korea. There are basically TV programs dedicated to the thing.

As for career path...

its life... live it, learn from it. It only comes around once. You like starcraft? Go for it.

Never live life with regret.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yeah, I have decided (for now) not to interject my opinion into this issue. If the kid can get his folks to send him onward to S.Korea then let him go. If he learns to speak Korean, then comes back to finish school, he'll have a bunch of contacts which could pay off later in his professional life.

I REALLY like Airsluf's commentary...very valuable cultural information!